Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:13 AM   #1

Default Olympus Stylus Tough 8010

Hello,

I recently bought an Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 digital camera and I was wondering if these concerns are legitimate or if the camera is normally functioning. People who have a Stylus Tough 8000 can answer as well.

Firstly, when the camera is off and is shook fairly gently is there supposed to be a rattling noise? It's almost as if something is moving inside the camera. It still happens when the camera is on, but not as much if the camera were off.

Secondly, when the camera is on and you put your ear very close to the left side (if the back of the camera is facing you) is it normal to hear some sort of weird noise? It almost sounds like what you would hear when it is really windy outside.

Thanks
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:02 AM   #2

I don't have that particular model (I have the 850SW, and a few "C" and "E" Olys, so I hope I'm still allowed to respond), but usually the rattling is the rotation sensor...usually it's a ball bearing in a tube that lets the camera know whether you are holding the camera normally (landscape orientation), or vertically (portrait orientation). Also on the TOUGH (and SW) cameras the "lens cap" floats, and it can rattle back and forth if the camera is shaken; since the lens cap is in different positions when the camera is on or off, this would be my suggested reason.

As for hissing, it could be the sound of the inverter, the device that generates the electricity for the backlight of the camera (my SW whines when the screen is on). Another thing you could be hearing is the flash circuitry, it too generates noise to charge/keep charged the flash. It could also be the voicecoil of the lens motor.

Digital cameras do generate sounds...I don't think anything is wrong with yours.

Remember though that if you do take it underwater to make sure the (USB and battery door) seals are clean (a stray hair can let in water), and they are locked tight!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I don't have that particular model (I have the 850SW, and a few "C" and "E" Olys, so I hope I'm still allowed to respond), but usually the rattling is the rotation sensor...usually it's a ball bearing in a tube that lets the camera know whether you are holding the camera normally (landscape orientation), or vertically (portrait orientation). Also on the TOUGH (and SW) cameras the "lens cap" floats, and it can rattle back and forth if the camera is shaken; since the lens cap is in different positions when the camera is on or off, this would be my suggested reason.

As for hissing, it could be the sound of the inverter, the device that generates the electricity for the backlight of the camera (my SW whines when the screen is on). Another thing you could be hearing is the flash circuitry, it too generates noise to charge/keep charged the flash. It could also be the voicecoil of the lens motor.

Digital cameras do generate sounds...I don't think anything is wrong with yours.

Remember though that if you do take it underwater to make sure the (USB and battery door) seals are clean (a stray hair can let in water), and they are locked tight!
Well it's definitely not the lens cap because if I hold that while shaking it the sound is still there.

EDIT: I just called Olympus and I asked them about the hissing noise and they said that they didn't hear anything on the particular model they were testing.

Last edited by shooting_rubber; Jul 15, 2010 at 9:11 AM.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote