Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:14 PM   #1

Default help - can't download pics. c700uz

hello,
i just bought an olympus c700UZ, and i'm having trouble getting the images from the camera to my computer. i have a dell computer w/ windows 2000, and so i plug the USB cable into the camera and the computer, turn the camera on, have the dial mode set to 'play' (the little green arrow in the box), the USB auto-connect has found the camera, and it looks fine there, i have already installed the camedia master 2.5 software that came with the camera. i click on 'my camera' after i run the camedia software, and the software is not finding the camera. it tells me the following error:

1. make sure the camera is plugged in and power is on (yes to both, i'm pretty sure)
2. change the port setting (how do i do this?)
3. lower communication speed (how do i do this?)
4. camera's mode dial is set to the outer connection mode (play, right?)

i don't know what else to do, i tried to use the help files, but i get me luck. i hope you can help me out w/ something i'm not doing right. oh, also, if i try to access the camera through my computer and the E:drive (removeable drive), it also doesn't work. if it's important, i just bought the camera off ebay it was factory refurb. from olympus w/ a 90 day warantee, but i hope it's ok.... thanks everyone.
-chris
DBWMN2ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:52 PM   #2

Go to control panel + system properties+
device manager+USB controllers.Check
these drivers for correct operation.Maybe
this will help.
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2002, 11:44 PM   #3

Chris,
I have an Olympus 700UZ also. If I am reading your post right, you are plugging the camera in first and then plugging into your PC. I use Camedia to download my pictures, when I can't get access to my card reader. I plug my USB cable into the USB port on my computer first, then I plug the cable into my camera, turn on the camera, my mode dial is set to auto. This may be your problem. Set your mode to auto and try it again. If this doesn't work, you might consider getting a SM card reader, it's a faster upload of pics, stays pluged in and you have less chance of knocking your cam off of your desk and doing permanent damage to it.
Hope this works for you, good luck,
Dee

Also, my cam is a refurb and I haven't had any problems with it! infact I love it...: )
DeeBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 12:19 PM   #4

hello,

john, i did that stuff you said, and checked the USB controllers. everything seems to be in working order. it was auto recognized (from the very first time i plugged it into this computer) as a USB mass storage device, and under properties, it knows that the camera is a C-700 Ultra Zoom. so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

dee, i tried everything you suggested also, and still no luck. i tried with the dial mode on play-back, auto, and the next one over. nothing. an SM card reader would probably solve my problems at this point, but i want to know what's wrong and why... i will try to call the olympus tech support later today and see if they can help me out. thanks. anyone else have any suggestions on what's wrong?
-chris
Old Aug 9, 2002, 3:18 PM   #5

OK, lets ignore the Camedia software for now.

With the camera off, plug in the USB cable to the computer and camera.

Turn on the camera (I don't think it matters what mode, playback should be fine).

If everything is fine, then in your "My Computer" window (or whatever its called) you should have a new removable drive icon. This is your memory card. If this doesn't work, the Camedia software will not work. You probably have a software configuration error.

If you get this far, you can get your pics by browsing down a couple of folders and copying the images to your hard drive. You don't need the Camedia software just to download your pics.

Let us know what happens.

[Edited on 8-9-2002 by Michael_Adkins]
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 4:40 PM   #6

hello,

michael, yes, i did that, and i do get a removeable drive icon and the drive letter E:. when i double click that icon, it tells me this error: 'Please insert a disk into drive E:.' i can not proceed from there. yes, there is a smartmedia card in the camera, and it does have pictures on it. and the SM card flap is closed.

me and the olympus tech support guy went over all this, and i tried to fidgit with some USB controllers and the drivers and all that yadda yadda stuff, and still no luck. even tried everything on a different computer here at work. no luck. i have been in contact with the seller, and he seems very nice and cooperative, and we are going to arrange an exchange. hopefully that will fix the problems. thanks for all your help guys... i will let you know what happens when the new camera arrives, and hopefully i get started on taking pics soon!
-chris
Old Aug 9, 2002, 5:05 PM   #7

Did you format card before use? Are cameras bateries stroong? try shutting computer down , powere up with camera on. also did ypu get 2000 driver from cd in stalled. and last do you have enough left to buy card reader, and end all this.
gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:19 PM   #8

Since the computer sees a device either the card is bad/needs formatting or the camera has a problem. Though, since its the card that came with the camera, I doubt it needs formattting.

If you don't care about the pictures, why not try formatting the card as Gary said.

After that, I think a return is in order.
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:40 PM   #9

hello,
i didn't format the card before i used it. i didn't think i had to. so, since i didn't care about the pictures on there, i formatted the 8MB card that came with the camera, and the 64MB card that i bought. i tried both again, still didn't work. i have been using an AC adapter, so i know the power source is fine. i did install the olympus camera driver from the camedia CD. i will be sending the camera back for exchange on monday. thanks again guys....
-chris
Old Aug 9, 2002, 9:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by DBWMN2ZS
hello,
i didn't format the card before i used it. i didn't think i had to. so, since i didn't care about the pictures on there, i formatted the 8MB card that came with the camera, and the 64MB card that i bought. i tried both again, still didn't work. i have been using an AC adapter, so i know the power source is fine. i did install the olympus camera driver from the camedia CD. i will be sending the camera back for exchange on monday. thanks again guys....
-chris
Thats probably best at this point. I got nothing else.