Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:04 AM   #1

Default Olympus proprietary batteries poor choice!

Most disappointed with the choice that Olympus made to go with proprietary batteries in most of their new C series digital cameras. Love their cameras and matter of fact have bought three C-5050 zooms this year for myself and family. However, there is nothing worse than having the batteries go dead on you and there is no way to recharge the batteries. With the C5050 zoom camera it comes with rechargeable AA batteries , but in a pinch if they run down you can always use any AA battery at your local 7-11 store. One of my biggest bragging points and reasons for buying Olympus has been their choice not to use proprietary batteries, but now I am sad to say I have bought my last Olympus unless they rethink this. I know the proprietary batteries that comes with the C-5060 Zoom has a tiny bit more power and you can get a few more shots than with the rechargeable AA batteries that comes with the C-5050 Zoom, but Olympus did not do this for that very small gain. Olympus was thinking profits and only profits and they know this camera is almost worthless with one battery. They know most people will have to purchase a second "extremely over prices" proprietary battery and that means big bucks. Sometimes I just don't get corporate America. I understanding wanting more profits, but they need to calculate in how many customers they will lose doing it.
TheRayBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:06 AM   #2

I agree with you 100%. In the past year and a half, I bought a c-720, c-750, and a c-5050.

When I began looking for a camera, the very first criteria I used to limit the field was to ELIMINATE cameras with proprietary batteries.

As long as any camera company continues to use AA batteries, I will ignore all of those with proprietaries. I see it as a moneymaking proposition with no regard for the consumer.
Jerry Backof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 5:09 PM   #3

I own a C3000Z which I believe uses the same proprietary batteries as the cameras listed above. Since the beginning of using this camera, I bought 8 AA NiMH 2000 batteries and a quick charger that does 4 at a time. The batteries that came with this camera are still new and have never been used. I can get about 200+ (flash) shots with the NiMH batteries on a charge. These can be recharged somewhere between 500-1000 times. I bought the batteries for $1.25 ea and the charger for $15 on eBay. So, if your camera uses 4 AA's, then why buy the proprietary expensive ones?
I have taken thousands and thousands of pictures for a mere $25 investment in rechargable batteries. I hope this sheds some insight against buying proprietary batteries.
Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 6:44 PM   #4

I prefer a camera that can use AA batteries, but I would not make that critera a decision factor in elminating a camera from my purchasing it. I bought the 5700 knowing that it used proprietary batteries. I was able to buy two 3d party batteries for $25 in lieu of the $120 that Nikon wants. The 3d party batteries work with the same quality as the Nikon.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:33 PM   #5

I agree that NiMh AA's are more functional and universal a solution, and I even agree that the decision to go with L-Ion is probably profit-based, but I still weigh other features more heavily than the battery.

i'd like to see a long-term comparison of L-Ion Vs NiMh AA's. It may be that the L-Ion has some long term advantages...(or not ; )
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:15 PM   #6

My last PDA came with traditional AAA betteries with the option to purchase the expensive L-Ion proprietary battery. I bought the L-Ion and it has worked well for the last three years. Yet, I can still switch back to the AAA's in a pinch.

Life is full of choices as is the purchase of a camera. I just don't like the corporate sector squeezing the consumer into a position where more money has to be expended on a product. Competition is good. So are competitive prices.

I purchase a camera on several criteria: manufacturer's reputation, quality of lens, the gizmos I convince myself I need, feel in my hand, its overall appearance, memory card type, and the battery configuration.
Gee, I'm not picky!
Jerry Backof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 1:44 AM   #7
Administrator

And here's another way to look at Li-ion vs NiMH batteries:

They pack more power in the same size
They can be charged whenever desired
Even when rapid charged they don't get hot
They have zero memory effect when short-cycle charged
They hold a charge much longer when sitting idle
They are physically lighter in weight
They output better in lower temperatures
They can be made smaller for the new smaller cameras

Sometimes it isn't about the bottom line profit. It isn't long after a new Li-ion battery pack comes out before there are 3rd-party and less expensive replacements for the popular cameras.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:31 PM   #8

It takes two hours to recharge the proprietary batteries of the c-5000. The 4 Nimh batteries takes like 8 hours to recharge (Correct me if i'm wrong). So.. I don't know... I guess it can be an advantage for some people.

I don't really see an inconvenience into proprietary batteries, unless you do not have access to an electricity source somewhere

What's the life of those proprietary battery coming with the c-5000 ? Or how many times can it be recharged ? Anybody who owns it can enlighten us on that ?

thanks
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:07 PM   #9

Charging times for AA NiMH vary depending on what batteries/charger you buy. Rayovac has a setup that charges in 15 min.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:14 AM   #10

Do you know about the battery life of those "proprietary battery" coming with the c-5000? Or how many times can it be recharged ? Anybody who owns it can enlighten us on that ?
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote