Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1

Default Tough 8000 Power Up Trouble

I just bought a slightly used Tough 8000.
I charged the battery until the light turned blue.
Now when I try to turn thr camera on, I get an image of a camera on the screen that appears to be telling me to push the power button again. If I do, the camera turns off. If I do nothing the camera turns off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
TANKSALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:53 PM   #2

By the way it also beeps about 14 beeps too.

And I can power up if I put it in the review mode.

Steve

Last edited by TANKSALOT; Oct 15, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
TANKSALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:15 AM   #3

When you push on the power button, are you in shooting mode (picture of a camera on the mode dial)?

What's most likely happening (and I say this having bought a used 850SW (earlier version of TOUGH) is there's a piece of grit causing the lens cover not to open (the lens cover is a motorized one that slides out of the way).

Now since this is an underwater camera, first make sure the seals are in good condition, clean, and the doors are closed tight (for BOTH the battery/memory and USB door). Then fill up a sink with water and submerge the camera (DON'T put it under a running tap since that's under pressure). Let it sit in the sink for a while, move it back and forth a bit in the water. Take it out and try the power button again.

Otherwise it needs a trip to the service centre...if you do take it in for service, you may consider having the underwater seals and packing replaced at the same time (assuming the camera can be fixed). In the manual it says to replace them yearly to keep the camera water tight (if you intend to use it underwater). Actually I was at a camera show yesterday talking to the Oly reps, and those who use a TOUGH camera never bothered to have their seals done!

But if the previous owner of your camera used it in a pool and never bothered to rinse the camera in fresh clean water, then it could be a build-up of chlorine, and if you're having the lens cover fixed you may was well have the seals done...but try my idea of soaking the camera first.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote