Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:37 PM   #11

It's the horizontal stripes in the sky. It may or may not be visible in your browser. Better off downloading the pic.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:40 PM   #12

Ok I saw the lines when the picture was fitted to a "normal" size.

The other sample pictures having a big part of sky in them do not have this "effect"... Maybe it's just one bad picture. It happens.

Maybe it's not a "generalized effect" to all the pictures...

Yeah I guess it would be boring to edit tons of picture due to the red-eye thing... how much time did it take to fix, let's say, one pair of red eye ? Does the application detect the red eye then delete it instantly or do u have to use some of your skill ?
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:08 PM   #13

Have to use a bit of skill. but its pretty easy. No matter how you slice it, opening 60 pics, fixing 6 or so eyes per shot is not a lot of fun!

From what I am seeing, the Olympus cameras built on the original Cxxxx body design are excellent cameras. The C20xx, 30xx, 40xx and 5050 are great cameras. The 5000 seems to be a cost reduced new design that has it benefits, but I'm not so sure I like it. All of the "older" body design cameras get great reviews, are known for great image quality. Many comments about the lack of red eye problems, which is very rare in this class of camera.

The 5050 looks like a VERY nice unit an is probably the last in this lineage. I may go for it instead of the C4000Z.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:12 PM   #14

Yeah, but I'm not ready to spend that amount of cash for it Hey, I'm a student ! hehe... The budget is a big part of the decision

I consider the c-5050 for the experienced photographers and pros.

Do u know any free softwares on the net that I can download to treat the red-eye problem ?
thanks
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:42 PM   #15

Actually, the 5050 and 5060 both look pretty nice.

The "3X and 4X" labels are a bit confusing.

Oly 4000 3X = 96mm
Oly 4040 3X = 105mm
Oly 5050 3X = 105mm
Oly 5060 4X = 110mm ???
Oly 5000 3X = 114mm

My A80 @ 114mm was called a 3X. The 110mm 4X of the 5060 doesn't seem right unless I dont understand the conversion.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 1:39 AM   #16

I checked out cameras from other companies and the Canon S400 really worth a look !!

Here's the pros/cons according to dcresourse.com :
pros :

Very good photo quality
Small, beautiful metal body
Super fast performance
Has an AF illuminator lamp
Support for underwater case
Surprising performance in redeye test
Very good playback mode

cons:
Wish it had more manual controls
While nice, movie mode not as nice as other Canon models
Poorly placed microphone (watch your fingers)
Flimsy plastic door over CF slot

I think it's a perfect camera for a beginner like me who doesn't give a damn about the movie and the manual controls, as long as the "basics" are there. I love the fact that it is so small. I'm a person who carries his camera around a lot so...

price is decent too and the people who owns it on the forum seems very satisfied with it. I think I may chose it over the oly c-5000.

-----
By the way sjm917, dcresource.com was impressed by the excellent performance of the canon s400 concerning the red-eye thing. Steve is not stating anything about it so I guess that he didn't see anything wrong with it.
-----
Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:34 AM   #17

S400 is a sweet camera. Different from the C4000 and C5000. The S400 is a "shirt pocket" small camera. I saw that review of the positive red eye results, but a Google search of user reviews shows many complaints of red eye. In fact, Canon gets more complaints than any brand I searched on. The G, S, and A series all have it.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:30 AM   #18

Well it's weird cuz I found many reviews praising the s400 and its abilities to reduce the red-eye thing. (DCresource.com and Cnet as well as s400 users.)

Bah, no camera is perfect of course. Personally, I would trust the professional reviews more.

Anyway, look at this. I was reading post into a canon forum on the net about the s400 and someone posted some links to the pictures he took with the s400 :

http://public.fotki.com/rEVOLVE/vaca..._maui/scenery/

beautiful !