Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:43 AM   #1

Default C-2100 and the 720

Hi! After some searching i have one doubt i donīt know if its better buy the C-2100 with 10x optical zoom and 2 MP or the new 720 with 8x optical zoom and 3 MP?

I think the C 2100 has better manual features!!! Can any one help me?

Thanks
jorgecastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:08 AM   #2

Steves reviews will answer questions, many more features on 2100:
remote control
batteries and charger
video/sound
stabalizeer

would not turn loose my 2100 unless had also a buyer for 3040 so I could get an E-10 for $1,000.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:28 AM   #3
lg

Ditto on everything Gary said. I also would prefer a fixed lens rather than one that must be extended each time the camera is turned on. Additionally, I believe the lens on the C-2100 takes superior quality pictures, judged by the test photos on Steve's site. I haven't owned a 3 megapixel 8x zoom camera, but I believe I'd choose the 10x digitally stabilized 2 megapixel camera if I were you.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 8:55 AM   #4

I agree with the answers given above. Although it might be tempting to get a C-720UZ for around $450 online, you can get a refurbished C-2100UZ for the same price with more in the box. Then when you take into consideration these C-7x0 cameras suffer more than usual from pruple fringing and the fact that you can't take handheld telephoto shots (so you need to walk with a tripod) the size of the package you will have to walk with gets bigger and bigger.

The C-2100 has more manual features than the C-720, plus you have an IR port for the remote control, you get movies with sound (but that's not really a big deal), you get the possibility to add an external flash in the future, and Image Stabilization is something no one should live without. Honestly the only cameras I could think of (under $1000USD) which could match this are the Sony F707 and the Canon Pro90IS.

Kue
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 1:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by kuemauve
the fact that you can't take handheld telephoto shots (so you need to walk with a tripod) the size of the package you will have to walk with gets bigger and bigger.

[snip] and Image Stabilization is something no one should live without.

Kue
I disagree on the tripod requirement. I bought my C-720 back in July and have taken quite a few 8x telephoto shots without a tripod. I do not have the steadiest of hands, nor am I much more than a pure amateur photographer. I will admit that I had a much easier time with my older Mavica FD-7 at max (10x) telephoto, but this doesn't mean that the C-720 can't be used without a tripod. As the light starts to decrease, it does become much, much harder and I've seen the red arrow many times more often than I'd like and I've taken a few blurry shots, but I'm getting better.

It certainly depends on what kinds of photos the user will be taking in what kinds of light. My opinion is that if you want to walk around at dusk and quickly shoot animal shots that you'll have some problems. If you tend to use your camera more often during bright days, then you won't see the problems.

See some of my basset hound pictures at <a href="http://www.ewilts.org/gallery/icecream02">www.ewilts.org.</a> These were taken on my first real outing with the new camera. At that gallery, you can click on "photo properties" to see the EXIF data. The hound on the hill on page 2 was mostly taken at full telephoto.

All that said, Kue is mostly right in that image stabilization is something we should have to live without. I'd certainly be happier with IS. The smaller body size does make the camera easier to pack around though (e.g. backpack or panier).

.../Ed (who probably has a record for most basset hound pictures online!)
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 7:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by jorgecastro
Hi! After some searching i have one doubt i donīt know if its better buy the C-2100 with 10x optical zoom and 2 MP or the new 720 with 8x optical zoom and 3 MP?

I think the C 2100 has better manual features!!! Can any one help me?

Thanks

I'd strongly recommend the 2100UZ. The 720 is a nice camera, but you'll regret the absence of image stabilization with this lens.

Mel
mel_sny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 7:42 PM   #7

i've had the 2100- two years. a great camera 10x and the stab. lens can't be
beat. has all the features you need and print great 8x10

bruce
bruce herring is offline   Reply With Quote