Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:57 PM   #1

Default New Oly C-5060 died second day!!!!

Happy Holidays one and all.

The beginning of xmas day, was "great" for me, receiving an Olympus C-5060 wide zoom camera. I couldn't believe my eyes! During the day, I had installed the memory card and battery to give it a quick try. It had enough power and turned on and everything was fine. I took 6 pictures just to see how it worked and was left in awe over the LCD image quality, how smooth and quiet the camera was, etc. etc. etc. It was an incredibale moment, after which, I shut it off and removed the battery to give it a full charge.

The day went on very quickly, doing other family activities. Late that night, I saw the battery was fully charged, so I put it back in the camera, but decided it was too late to get playing with the camera more, so I put it down and left it until the next day. We had a family photo shoot planned, so while everyone was getting ready, I put the camera on the tripod, with the idea to review some of the settings I had read about in the manual. As soon as I turned the camera on, I was horrified to see and hear it, extending the lens, trying to focus,beeping over and over, take a meter reading and the shutter going off all at the same time!!!!!!!!!!! It did this three times in a row, before it finally stopped doing that and after which, the view in the LCD was all blurry. It wouldn't focus properly!

It's incredibal how things went from totally great, too totally bad in a split second. I was in shock! When I turned it off, the lens didn't retract back into the body and when I turned it back on again, it started doing the same thing all over again!!! I tried every setting available, too no avail! If I pushed the two buttons to reset the camera, it start spazzing out, all over again, so it was about at this point that I realized that there was something seriously wrong with the camera and that, their was nothing I could do!! It needed a repair man. :x I called the store where it was bought today and was told to ship it back too him ( bought out of town ) and he would send it into Olympus for repair. So now, I'm left wondering how long this will take and praying that Olympus's customer service, is as good as it's products, otherwise are?

I sure hope this was some sort of freak computer chip malfunction and not a design flaw. One thing I'm sure of, I'll have it in the back of my mind, wondering if it's going to start properly every time I turn it on, after I get it back!

Hope no one else out there has had to go through this type of devastating event with their new digital xmas gifts? all the best in the New Year.

Cheers,

Pepe.
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:01 PM   #2

I called the store where it was bought today and was told to ship it back too him ( bought out of town ) and he would send it into Olympus for repair. So now, I'm left wondering how long this will take and praying that Olympus's customer service, is as good as it's products, otherwise are?

I am really sorry to hear about what happened, a total bummer!!

anyway, I am also surprized that the store just didn't do an exchange with another camera (5060) I mean wasn't there
some type of a warrenty, ya know something like 14-30 days.

or you should have just walked in there and said I want my money back right now and then just go and buy another one somewhere else if he wouldn't have given you another camera.

Of course this is just IMHO.
Hardware-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 1:57 AM   #3

I agree with Hardware. No way would I take a brand new camera to be fixed...I'd want a new one, straight exchange or my money back.

Good Luck

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 1:56 AM   #4

Default Re: C-5060 dies second day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKayd1
I agree with Hardware. No way would I take a brand new camera to be fixed...I'd want a new one, straight exchange or my money back.

Good Luck

Kayd
Thanxs for the show of support. Unfortunatley, I bought the camera out of town, (130 miles away). Theirs no way they'll give me a new one, so it was cheaper for me to ship it back, than drive there and get told the same thing! I wrote Olympus the other day, telling them I was the least bit impressed with the situation, but they haven't written me back yet. It felt good, just getting all that frustration out in words!!!!

I plan on sticking with the camera non the less, because I still believe it's the best digital camera on the market in it's class. Just a bad case of bad luck? I've read many of Steve's camea reviews the past 6 months or so, since I came across his web site and I value his work! The other factor was two other very close friends that have owned numerous Oly products, from the C-2040 to the c-5050z, nothing but positive feedback!

The dealer got the camera this afternoon and was shipping it to Olympus for me..... I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Pepe.

Happy New Year.
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote