Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Administrator

If you want to use the software, you may want to try switching it back to Auto or PC (which probably sets it to use the PTP protocol) and see if the software works with it that way.

It may be setup so that it only works via PTP (Picture to Picture), which works differently than USB Mass Storage (which is the way USB attached disk drives communicate).

Or, if you don't care about the software, you should find an uninstall choice for it in Control Panel (assuming you're using Windows). In Win 7, if you start Control Panel, you can uninstall a program by going to Programs>Programs and Features. In other versions of Windows, it may be located in a different section within Control Panel.

Here's another way to get to the uninstaller. This program is free, and after you install and start it, just click on the Tools Icon (wrench) on the left side of the screen, and you'll see an Uninstall option that lets you click on a program and run it's uninstaller.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Norton, huh? I haven't used it in a while (years), even though I'm a Comcast customer and I know they offer it for free to their subscribers. If I buy a new PC with it installed, I make sure to remove it (and sometimes, that can require special removal tools, at least with some of the older versions). I use a variety of other anti-malware products instead.

But, it should have a setup option somewhere to disable USB filters for specific apps. If you can't find it, you may want to try their forums.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norto...Forum/ct-p/nis
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:02 AM   #12

I know. I use to HATE Norton. I had Mcafee. Then Comcast starting using Norton. It really is much improved.

Hey Jim. I just deleted all my pictures. I think I am going to cry. They were in that DMNI folder thingy, in My Computer Disk J.

So I deleted them off my camera. But now Disk J is empty! How do I get them ON my computer?

In simple blonde, Cali words, please?

I know that these pics are all gone...unless they are in the recycle bin? I'm thinkin not.
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Administrator

P.S.

There is a reason some anti-malware block access to USB devices. One way malware has been known to spread is via Autorun (a file that can exist on removal media that tells Windows to run specific programs when started, since malware can be hidden on removable media like memory cards, usb flash drives, usb hard drives, etc.).

You can disble Autorun separately in Windows and many anti-malware programs though, while still giving programs access to the device. But, I don't know how Norton handles that part.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
So I deleted them off my camera. But now Disk J is empty! How do I get them ON my computer?
Disk J is your camera's memory card when it's connected that way from what you've told me. You've got to copy and paste them to a folder on your PC's hard drive (probably your c: drive) before deleting anything.

There are some utilities that can get them back for you (basically, locating them on the memory card using image headers to find them and piece them together, then saving them to a folder on your Computer's hard drive (you don't want to try recovering them to the same media you deleted them on).

Don't try to take any more photos in the interim, as you may overwrite some of them.

See this thread for details on some of the software available for that purpose :

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ory-cards.html
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Administrator

P.S.

My directions for using photorec in that thread assume you're using a card reader.

See if it works with your camera's USB mode set to storage and is able to get your photos. If not, I'd try to borrow a card reader to get them back using photorec.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

(basically, locating them on the memory card using image headers to find them and piece them together

Jim, I don't have a memory card...do I?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Disk J is your camera's memory card when it's connected that way from what you've told me. You've got to copy and paste them to a folder on your PC's hard drive (probably your c: drive) before deleting anything.
More comments....

After you take photos and copy them to your PC (either using software for that purpose, or just copying and pasting the files to your c drive by using Windows Explorer (the file manager you get when you click on folders from "My computer"), I strongly suggest you do not delete them from a PC (or write to the card in any way), to reduce chances of corrupting it.

Instead, I'd just reformat the card each time you want to reuse it using your camera's menu choice for format. That's just as fast as deleting the files anyway, and always insures you start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), which is how the operating system keeps track of file names, where they're located on the card, etc.

Otherwise (using a PC to delete files), you risk corrupting the card if all pending disk writes in memory haven't been "flushed" at the time you remove it (by unplugging you USB Card reader or USB connected camera). If for any reason you do write to a card (and deleting images is a write), then make sure to use the Safely Remove features of your operating system (usually an icon in your system tray when you plug in removable media).

With Windows, if you "right click" on it under "My Computer", you'll see an "eject" choice that does the same thing (makes sure all pending disk writes are flushed to it so you can safely remove it).
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:30 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
Jim, I don't have a memory card...do I?
I don't know. You tell me. ;-)

Your camera model can use SDHC memory cards. So, I assumed that's what you were using. Very few camera owners don't use a memory card with them.

It may also have a small amount of internal memory it uses for storing images (some cameras do, but they usually won't hold much).

If you don't have a memory card in it, then it's storing them in internal memory somewhere. See if Photorec can find them when the camera is plugged in (making sure it's USB option is set to Mass Storage).
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:37 AM   #19
Administrator

You'll find a door on the bottom of the camera that has a card slot in it. If one is there, you can just push on it to remove it (spring loaded locking mechanism), and push it back in until it clicks to reinsert it.

It's designed to use SDHC cards. But, it might have some internal memory, too (I haven't tried to check it's specs to see).

If the photos are on internal memory (versus an SDHC card), your only option is to try and recover them via a USB attached camera. Again, see this thread for instructions on using Photorec (and with a USB attached camera, make sure it's USB menu option is set to Storage):

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...ory-cards.html
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:48 AM   #20

Quote:
I don't know. You tell me. ;-)

Well ~ you'd be proud. I found the slot where the memory card goes! And it is empty. So I need to buy one.

I guess I should look in the directions to see what kind....