Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:40 PM   #1

Default HELP...need repairs

Over New Years we were at a family outing and my cousin while trying out my sons paintball gun, blasted my C4000 from close range where it was perched on a tripod. It shattered the plastic cover and frame over the LCD screen and broke the LCD screen itself. Not sure what other damage might have occured. It'll power up (the lens extends) and shut down but the LCD is definately dead. Now what, and has anyone an idea on cost?? or don't I want to know....
Davcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2004, 7:04 PM   #2

Dave

You will need to contact Olympus for a cost. It is possible that the cost of repair will be to high.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:00 PM   #3

Judging from the damage described, I'd venture to guess that it'll cost more to repair than replace. Just as an FYI, Office Max has the C-720 on clearance for $299. It's only 3mp but has 8x optical. You might even be able to find a C4000 on clearance for around the same price.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:09 PM   #4

I feel for you !

My uncle dropped my camera at a xmas party and the shock on the ground broked the barrel and the lens (The thing that extends)... Well it's not really broken but it popped out of the camera.

I'm sending that to olympus for an estimate and my uncle will give me the money they say it would cost to repair it.

I'm buying another camera though.
After all the consultation, review-readings and evaluation of my needs, im going with the canon s400.

Anyways, I think it will probably cost over 200 to repair your camera.
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 2:57 AM   #5

sorry to hear that but i think it might cost more than a new cam....but i guess it couldn't hurt to get a quote
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...airpricing.asp
dal81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:26 AM   #6

Default ouch..

Thanks for your responses.. I was afraid I'd get the reponses I did about the cost. My only problem now would be, if I have to replace it, what to replace it with. I did quite an intense search for info before buying the C4000. Now there are so many new cameras out since then that I'll have to start over. Life will go on though.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:31 PM   #7

Dave,

You can still take photos, just not preview them

You may want to sell cam "as is" on Ebay and consider
whatever you get as "rebate" on another camera
that you could purchase.

You may also want to check here on Olympus refurbished site
for a like replacement for your camera.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=73431637

Search for them:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/search...&submit=Search

shows several for sale.

May be best way to go
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:55 PM   #8

Digcamfan, Thanks for your reply. Your right... I could take pictures just not preview...or post view or change any settings etc. Amazing how important that little screen is. I didn't know that Olympus had a refurbished camera "store". Thats definately another option for me to look into. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from Olympus on a repair estimate. I emailed them 2 days ago. Once I get that I'll have to sit down and decide what to do. Do you or anyone else out there have any input on buying refurbished stuff from them on ebay like that?? Is it a gamble, or not much different from buying new from a retailer and hoping not to get a lemon?
Old Jan 6, 2004, 5:50 PM   #9

I take it that the C4000 does not have an EVF or video out?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davcar
Digcamfan, Thanks for your reply. Your right... I could take pictures just not preview...or post view or change any settings etc.
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:41 PM   #10

KuoH, I'm not sure what EVF is. The reason I posted the response I did was because everything you do on the camera is viewed on the screen. Everything setting you might want to change , flash on/off, Fstop, exposure time, etc. is viewed on the screen. My screen is dead so if I took a few shots , I'd have no clue where anything was set till I got home and plugged it into the computer.