Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 7, 2004, 4:25 AM   #1

Default Anyone who has CLA-4 tube Adaptor for C-700 series, please!

Hi!
Can you tell me if the CLA-4 comes with lens CAP for 55mm diameter so I can protect my camera a filters and addon lenese, or the original cap that comes with Oly C-750 fits the adapter??
Love, Andrea
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 7:33 AM   #2

Default One more thing to buy...

You'll need to buy a 55 mm lens cap. The CLA-4 does not have one. I keep the CLA-4 and a B+W UV filter mounted almost "permanently" on my C-730 and I bought a generic 55 mm lens cap at my local photo store. Tested it with my UV filter to make sure it was a reasonable fit. It wasn't perfect (I really liked the way the Oly cap fit) but it works just fine.

So I wouldn't loose the cap, I attached a short piece of monofilement fishing line to the cap (drilled a very small hole in the cap's front edge and threaded it through with a knot in the end) and then made a loop at the other end and put it around the CLA-4 tube. Put some black plastic tape over the loop so that it would keep slipping off.

Enjoy your new C-750. Take lots of pictures!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:20 AM   #3

Hello!
Thanks for your reply!
Can you tell me which UV and polarizer filters should I buy? Linear right?
Which brand?
Thanks!
Andrea
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:45 AM   #4

Andrea -

I'm not sure that any one brand of filters is truely better than any of the others. Stick with recognized names, such as B+W, Hoya, Tiffen, etc, and you should be OK. Unless there is great price differential, look to a local photo shop (as opposed to buying over the internet) to try out a filter or two and give the shop the benefit of your purchase.

If you plan on using an add-on lens along with your filter (I do with a UV filter mounted first on a CLA-4) then be sure you've got sufficient thread to attach the lens. You don't want just a 1/8 th turn of the lens to cause it to "disattach" itself from the camera and crash to the ground.

Linear polarizer should be fine. It costs less than circular but will be OK with you new C-750.

About the only thing I'm not sure on is multi-coating on filter glass. I've read both sides of the story - you need it or it really doesn't matter, especially with digital.

Enjoy your new C-750!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5

Default multicoating

Quote:
Originally Posted by plg3
About the only thing I'm not sure on is multi-coating on filter glass. I've read both sides of the story - you need it or it really doesn't matter, especially with digital.
Concerning multicoating I'm sure it doesn't matter if digital or film camera is used.
If you need it, depends only on what you intend to do, because multicoating comes to force almost only when shooting against strong backlight like the Sun. I think that UV or skylight filter which is used all the time should have multicoating which can significantly improve the ability of the lens to avoid flares and haze. This would add another reason to use this kind of filters which otherwise have very little effect in digital photo (besides lens protection).
Another filters which can be often used in strong backlight are: polarizers, grey neutral filters and maybe macro lenses.
Martin
MartinCZ is offline   Reply With Quote