Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 8, 2004, 1:47 AM   #1

Default C-5060

I am going to buy a 5060 and was wondering about the battery life and if anyone has a good source for buying an extra and can AA batteries be used in place of the one that comes with it? I suspect not.
paflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:52 PM   #2

Unfortunately, unlike other Olympus models, the C5060 uses a proprietaty 7.2 Volt Lithium Ion battery pack. Battery life has been rated as exceptional (probably best in class) but I still prefer the inexpensive and readily available NiMH batteries. I could probably buy about 6 sets for the price of one Olympus Lithium Ion replacement battery, if they're even still available when I need one. AA NiMH batteries are ubiquitous and offer excellent life in digital cameras.

To be fair, the C5060 has a plug for external power so it would be possible to construct a NiMH pack for extended use as required.
Clayton Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 3:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I found the battery at B&H Cameras for just about $59. 8) I will consider the external pack since I have a few sets of the NiMH batteries already for my previous camera and a good charger. At $59 that is like 4 sets of AAs. So it is not totally outrageous. Olympus wanted over $100. Hope the battery life is agood as I hope it is. Can't wait for the camera to arrive.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:15 PM   #4

Hmmm.
I just bought a 5060 and was a bit conserned about the battery problem.
Can I construct an empty batteryholder for 4 batteries (or more) and fill it with AA batteries when the need arise?
Grimmric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:59 AM   #5

I've been using my C5060 for over a month now and have had no problems taking well over 200 shots on a chargeup. Checked the battery the other day before going out and it looked charged (on screen battery status icon) I'm sure already had 200 on the charge but when I got to where I was going to shoot, the battery indicator decided to flash red, meaning it's on it's way out.....
Happened that I was shooting with only available light so I wasn;t using the flash and have learned to turn off the LCD between shots so I got 85 more shots on the battery and it still hadn't quit. I'm sure that if you learn to be frugal with the LCD, it will help a lot
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I decided to go ahead and buy an extra BLM1 battery. With these two batteries I will be in good shape I am sure. I got it at I B&H Photos on line. None of the other sites had one in stock. The BLM! is the same battery as is used in the Olympus E1 an older camera. I still think it would be neat to get some sort of batterypack holder that I could plug AAs into to use as a backup to the backup. I plan on traveling a lot and thus might find myself in the situation of being between charges for an extended period of time. I see that the main charger is useful from 110V to 240V so can be used anywhere in the world as long as you have a wall plug adapter. If anyone is curious I also carry an Apacer C-100 portable CD burner. It has ports for all the most popular memory cards. Not the xD cards though. I did get an xD to CF adapter from Olympus so I think I will be able to use them too with it. Go to www.apacer.com to read up on it or at www.stevesdigicams.com in the accessories area to read a review on it.

Phil