Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 8, 2004, 1:04 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-750 lens adapter problem

Hello everyone! just registered and this is my first post!!

I ve recently bought a C-750 and planning to get a lens adapter tube to protect the lens and attach additional filters/lenses.

However, i ve heard that the CLA-4 adapter casts a shadow on the image at full wide length (when using flash). Does anyone know if that shadowing can be avoided by using a smaller than 55mm adapter? e.g 52mm?

And if the shadowing is avoided then what about vigneting with these smaller diameters?

Thanks a lot!!!
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2004, 1:15 PM   #2

When the adapter tube is installed, you will have vignetting at the wide angle shots. The reason is that the lens is retracted inside the tube and the tube sides are in focus area of the camera.

You can purchase an adapter tube at www.2filters.com. They have good prices and are very reliable.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 3:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response!

I ve seen examples of vignetting with the CLA-4 adapter and it appears on the bottom left corner of the frame. I wasn't aware that it can appear on all four corners in wide zoom?

May be a smaller diameter as i suggested would solve the problem? as it would let the light to disperse equally in the whole frame?
Old Jan 8, 2004, 3:47 PM   #4

Diameter will not make a difference with the vignetting. The lens is retracted to the back of the tube and the tube is in the way of the lens. You will have to remove the tube if you want to shoot wide angle.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 4:32 PM   #5

I believe a smaller diameter will make the problem more pronounced since there is less light and more of the interior of the tube in the way. What you would need would be a wider tube, but then you'd have to deal with the practicality of lugging a bazooka around with your camera.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavaros
May be a smaller diameter as i suggested would solve the problem? as it would let the light to disperse equally in the whole frame?
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 4:41 PM   #6

sorry my mistake, larger diameter i meant....

people using the 55mm CLA-4 adapter claim that there is no vignetting on the whole zoom range, apart from the problem with the dark shadow on the bottom left corner..

It doesnt seem to be vignetting as an exxample i ve seen looked as the flash light couldnt reach that corner,

this is where i am confused..does the big size of the tube blocks the flash light to reach the left bottom of the frame??
Old Jan 8, 2004, 9:00 PM   #7

I have a C-730 with the CLA-4 "permanently attached" (along with a UV filter for lens protection.) I do not have any vignetting problem over the full range of the zoom lens - full wide to full zoom. This is without any attachment lenses added.

There is a shadow in the lower left corner of my pictures when using the flash and at full wide angle with the CLA-4 and UV filter attached. The shadow goes away when I zoom in "just a tad" (maybe 5 - 10%?) If I'm concerned at all about the shadow appearing, I take off the CLA-4 and UV filter.

So yes, due to the size of the CLA-4 tube, it does block some of the flash. I believe, however, other adapter tubes do the same thing.

Hope this answers your question.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:11 AM   #8

Thanks! it does help.

However, does the shadow appear every time you are using the flash, or only when using the flash in full wide angle zoom?

Have you tried a smaller tube? or know someone that does?
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:50 AM   #9

Quote:
However, does the shadow appear every time you are using the flash, or only when using the flash in full wide angle zoom
I get a shadow in the lower left corner only when using the flash AND at full wide angle. The shadow "goes away" if I zoom in just a bit.

There is no shadow (or vignetting) at full wide angle without the flash.

I have not tried the smaller tubes but I suspect the same shadow problem (with flash AND full wide angle) would occur with a 52 mm adapter. I think you can use the 52 mm adapter over the full range of the zoom and not have any vignetting. Any smaller tube with filter is likely to introduce vignetting at some point.

I like the CLA-4 as I have two additional Olympus lenses (B-300 and WCON-07) that have the same 55 mm threads.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:46 PM   #10

Would using an external flash make this problem go away?
Greenmind is offline   Reply With Quote