Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:04 AM   #1

Default External light for C-720

I bought a external light for my Olmpus C-720. It's a OMEGA DIGIFLASH. Having my internal light and external light turned on, my photos are dark. When I use the internal light I don't have that problem. I thought the external light will help with red eye and better pitchers. Can someone please tell me what i maybe doing wrong?
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 8:58 AM   #2

A quick guess - Are you using "red-eye" reduction flash mode which has a pre-flash just prior to shutter release along with a "main" flash? I believe that the camera does some exposure measuring with the pre-flash and if your external flash is going off with the pre-flash, then the camera is saying "There's a lot of light here so let's shorten the exposure." Hence, the dark picture.

Try turning off the "red-eye" flash mode.

If you want to use the "red-eye" reduction mode, make sure the Omega Digiflash is capable of the handling a pre-flash and it is set to go off on the second flash, i.e., when the shutter is released.

I read of a simple test for all this a while back - take a video (using a camcorder) of the flashes going off. Easy way to check to see when the external flash is going off with respect to the camera's internal flash.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:40 PM   #3

I am not using the red eye reduction at all. I just pop my internal light so the external will work.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:32 PM   #4

Well, I must admit that I'm stumped on this one. But as my "significant other" would add, I'm not the brightest light bulb in the pack. And I was hoping that some of the regulars here might have other suggestions.

Have you tried your external flash with your C-750? Similar results?

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:25 PM   #5

Plg no I have not. I returned the light I bought for my C-720. Light did not come on at the same time as the internal light, so I returned it. I just bought the C-750 and have got a light yet. In the works getting one.