Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 10, 2004, 1:01 PM   #1

Default Oly 750uz or Panasonic DMC- FZ10 ?

I have many doubts!
Can anybody help me in the choice?
Thanks a lot, Domy
domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:50 PM   #2

It depends what you need it for..obviously both have a big zoom but big difference in size( and weight).

I prefered the olympus cause smaller, cheaper(in uk at least) and more functions plus many reviewers noticed noise in panasonics pictures and in general lower image quality than expected.

However, the FZ-10 got a stabilised lense that can give you longer exposures and longer zoom with no need for tripod. Although in my opinion a steady hand can do the same job.

Hope it helps
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 6:41 PM   #3

Initially I had chosen the 750 (I downloaded and completely read the camera manual and was enthusiastic about the features that this camera offers), but reading internet forum and some paper reviews, have come the doubts!
In particular about the solidity of the lens (too much clearence), the slowness and the inaccuracy to focus and zoom and, finally, the quality of construction (plastic case and the functional keys economically made). Can you reassure me about these points?
At the same time I found a lot of enthusiastic people and many paper reviews who advised this camera as a very good buy.
I live in Italy and here the FZ10 isn't still commercialized and this is another problem!
Personally I like the 750 and its features but I have never seen and touched the FZ10 so it's difficult for me to make the comparison.
Thank you for your help and excuse me for my bad English language!
Bye Domy
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:42 PM   #4

I recieved my 750 on Wed and have played with it for 3 days and it's going back. I'm sure I just got the Oly lemon but none of the 1st 100 pictures were in focus (mid morning, overcast), I'd watch the focus get clear then click out (and yes the macro was off). Later I went out in bright sunlight and the focus got better (now 2 out of 5 are in focus), also a red spot in the middle of the LCD sceen. I'm now paranoid so am exchanging it for a 5050 and will eventually get a zoom lens.

As for the panasonic...check out Jimmie at www.onlinephotographers.com he also has a photo in the portrait section here...something about belly buttons :?

Good luck
Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by domy
In particular about the solidity of the lens (too much clearence), the slowness and the inaccuracy to focus and zoom and, finally, the quality of construction (plastic case and the functional keys economically made). Can you reassure me about these points?
Hi Domy, i can reassure you that the C-750 lens is one of the best out there,as for the solidity you can buy an adapter tube e.g CLA-4, which will attatch in the front of your camera and protect the lense. This way you ll be able to attatch additional filters e.g UV/skylight that will further protect your lense from scratches/dust/fingerprints etc.. Also you ll be able to attatch additional lenses as well (tele,wide,macro) if you decide in the future.

As for the quality of construction, is an all metal camera! and believe me not economically made at all!

Remember though as with all cameras (the C-750 is more of an enthusiasts camera than a point and shoot one) you ll have to get familiar with it and the results will be great!

When i ve got mine i was happy from the first moment that i ve started using the scene modes! now i ve started experimenting with the manual settings and believe me this camera can handle any situation!
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:25 PM   #6

Thanks for your willingness and your answers.
ImKayd1, I don't understand if your problem is in your specific camera or in the camera 750 model in general.
Domy
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:50 AM   #7

I believe it's a factory problem(my specific camera). The 750 does have draw backs IMHO, low light focusing and now that I've used the EVF, I like an optical view finder. Having said that there are alot of people out there who love this camera.

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:46 PM   #8

Domy, the C750's body is mostly metal, w/ plastic bottom plate and panels for xD card slot and AV/USB/Power plug-ins. Not a magnesium alloy body like the Fuji S7000, but seems pretty rugged. Lens barrel is of the floating variety, so it does move and can potentially be damaged if jostled/dropped. Like many owners, I installed a lens tube/adapter and UV filter and bought peace of mind for $25.

The C750's lowlight AF performance is a mixed bag - sometimes it has to hunt, sometimes it won't focus at all, and sometimes I have been able to take sharply focused pics in near total darkness. Note that this problem is common to all digicams lacking an AF assist lamp. Also, AF assist lamps are largely ineffective at ranges beyond 10 ft. There are several "tricks" to aid AF in lowlight - including use of a $10 laser pointer w/ a patterned tip.

Also note that you'll have to splurge for a dSLR if you want long-zoom capability and an optical viewfinder. Coupling an optical viewfinder to a long-zoom lens (greater than 4x or 5x) would be prohibitively bulky and expensive. That's why all long-zoom, non-dSLR digicams use EVFs - including the HP 945, Coolpix 5700, Fuji S7000 and the DMC-FZ10.

Noise levels are a problem w/ all digital cameras, even $4,000 dSLRs. I never use ISO 400, and rarely use ISO 200 on my C-750. That said, noise levels on the DMC-FZ10 are noticeably higher than those on the Oly. I also think the Oly's overall image quality, notably color and saturation, is better. The Panasonic's IS is very nice, but the Olys image quality is superior in almost every other regard. Also offers more manual controls. Performance (AF speed, sequential speed) is pretty ho-hum, but neither was a deal-breaker for me. Just my opinion.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:58 PM   #9

Hello!
I own the C-750 UZ from Olympus and I think it's a great camera. It has a 10x optical zoom, which is a great deal for me (that love to photograph my kids) and it has a great quality either.
If you want you can check my photo site http://deiota.instantlogic.com or check these:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/c750uz
http://waynebrunet.fotopic.net

Love,
Andrea Oliveira
PS- If you want, add me to MSN Messenger and we can discuss this
[email protected]
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 6:37 PM   #10

Thanks a lot for your very useful answers!
I read a lot in these days about these two cameras.
I think I'll buy the 750...
Bye Domy