Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:44 AM   #1

Default Can i tempt u?? The "Price drop" theoretical model

Has anyone managed to develop some sort of theory in explaining/predicting price drops in digital cameras/accesories?

Which are the factors that influence a drop in the price of a digital camera?Lets consider an example: the Olympus C-750

When the camera was announced had an X recommended price, following that the actual price in the shops was at least 20% cheaper. The price in the next 6 months (hypothetically speaking) dropped another 10% and now can be found a year after its announcement for half of the original rrp.

My question is: when is the best time to buy a camera if the buyer cannot afford it when it first comes out? One should consider however, that if one waits too long for the price to drop, new models will come out and his first choise might be old news!

I dont know if it makes sense what im saying... it was just a thought.... :shock:
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:35 PM   #2

My two cents (actually a penny and a half American)......
While you wait and wait for the camera eventually you will save money BUT think of the enjoyment and 100's of pictures you are missing out on.
Also if you wait for the latest model to come out you will ALWAYS be waiting because something "new and improved" is always around the corner.
I payed $899cdn for my C-750 in August it is now $749 at the same store last time I checked. Sure I could have waited and bought it now but I would have missed literally over 5000 pictures
Is it worth it? Who knows?
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 5:06 PM   #3

I waited 14 months for the price of the Nikon 5700 to drop where it was within my budget. I also needed to understand more about digital photography before I made the step to this type of camera. I believe that the biggest deciding factor for a camera purchase is your budge restraints.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:50 AM   #4

I think you are both right. One should consider enjoyment and price before making the decision.

I suppose that the enoyment that you get of from a whole summer of photo shooting, definately is worth the few $ more..

As Gibson said though, if the model that you' re planning to buy is high end+out of your budget (and loses its value slower over time) then may be it's worth waiting.

The benefit of that being: having the time to learn more about digital photography and be rewarded by your photos when you eventually buy your camera..

But dont you need something to practise on in the meantime??
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:24 AM   #5

You need somewhere to start you digital photo hobby. I am on my 5th camera in the last 8 years. One of the cameras died because I left it in the car during the summer. I still own two of the cameras and my children have the other two. All cameras will have a learning curve on how to use them.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote