Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Help! Manual for Olympus C-720 UZ?

Hi All,
Rule #1, never leave the cd that comes with your new digicam sitting near the edge of your desk with toddlers around... Ever seen a cd that looks like it was used to scrub the driveway?? Not pretty.

Anyway, that's what happened to me. The Camedia master software is no big deal cuz it's the same version as my wifes d-550. (4.0) BUT, I don't know how to use all the functions on this 720 yet! only had it a couple days. I have been searching the web for hours. Nothing. Olympus won't post them on their web due to something about a gray market? Anyway, anybody out there willing to help me get my hands on the english version pdf of the full manual on the cd? Can email it or post it somewhere? I can set up an ftp if need be.
Please please please I really wanna do some playing with this thing...

Thanks BIG time!
fsumarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:33 PM   #2

Your 720 should have come with a printed manuel, Should go back to merchant and let them know it was missing.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:41 PM   #3

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

It came with a printed "Basic Manual". The full "Reference Manual" is only available on the cd. It says so right at the top of the printed quick guide. It also had it on the start up screen when you insert the cd. (atleast it did before the cd got a road rash).

It was like 150 pages or something in pdf. I looked at it for a minute and planned on reading it fully later...
My D-550 is the same way. Real manual on the cd.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:11 AM   #4

Marc,
I am a little fuzzy as to why you cannot go back to merchant say was missing, You did not relize as you loaded camedia from wifes and used a card reader. He should at least be able to burn you a copy from another one. Check your U2U in few minutes.
Gary
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by fsumarc
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

It came with a printed "Basic Manual". The full "Reference Manual" is only available on the cd. It says so right at the top of the printed quick guide. It also had it on the start up screen when you insert the cd. (atleast it did before the cd got a road rash).

It was like 150 pages or something in pdf. I looked at it for a minute and planned on reading it fully later...
My D-550 is the same way. Real manual on the cd.
It seems like a ridiculous way to save a buck or two. Three manuals; Quick start, Basic, and full. The full one on CDROM only. Same as my C-4000. Mine was 246 pages. I printed them on a laser printer front and back, 4 to a side and it took a couple of hours. A real pain, but you can't use a CDROM in the bush. And it is necessary to read the ful manual.

I hope someone has what you need.
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Senkus
Marc,
I am a little fuzzy as to why you cannot go back to merchant say was missing, You did not relize as you loaded camedia from wifes and used a card reader. He should at least be able to burn you a copy from another one. Check your U2U in few minutes.
Gary

Yes, I guess I could go back to best buy and lie and tell them the cd was not in the box. Have you ever played this game with Best Buy? Then they have a camera without the software/manual. Useless. It's not like Best buy is gonna burn me a copy of the cd. All i needed is the english pdf on the cd so I can use my camera. Do you have the 720? (or the 550 for that matter) you should see there is only a full manual on the cd. I am not scamming or selling gray market cameras (as you alluded in the ubu) heck I don't even know what gray market means. stolen? Like black market?

Sorry, I thought it was a simple request for help. Didn't realize it would look like I was doing something illegal. (that's the reason i ddidn't go back to best buy.. just feels wrong lying to them..)

Thanks anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Senkus
Marc,
Gary

Yes, I guess I could go back to best buy and lie and tell them the cd was not in the box. Have you ever played this game with Best Buy? Then they have a camera without the software/manual. Useless. It's not like Best buy is gonna burn me a copy of the cd. All i needed is the english pdf on the cd so I can use my camera. Do you have the 720? (or the 550 for that matter) you should see there is only a full manual on the cd. I am not scamming or selling gray market cameras (as you alluded in the ubu) heck I don't even know what gray market means. stolen? Like black market?

Sorry, I thought it was a simple request for help. Didn't realize it would look like I was doing something illegal. (that's the reason i ddidn't go back to best buy.. just feels wrong lying to them..)

Thanks anyway.
Guy,
Take your damaged disk, youngsters that messed it up, go to best buy as for the Gen mgr and tell him what happened with your two day old cam. would be real amazed if a great merchant like that would let you leave thier store w/o new disk. Also sales reciept, cam ser# damaged disk, quick call to Olympus for RMA and you say Olympus will not exchange. you are dealing with a great merchant and a great manufacter and you say neither will help. But great post to t person you gave help to on her 720 last night. Be glad to call either place for you.
Gary
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Guy,
Take your damaged disk, youngsters that messed it up, go to best buy as for the Gen mgr and tell him what happened with your two day old cam. would be real amazed if a great merchant like that would let you leave thier store w/o new disk. Also sales reciept, cam ser# damaged disk, quick call to Olympus for RMA and you say Olympus will not exchange. you are dealing with a great merchant and a great manufacter and you say neither will help. But great post to t person you gave help to on her 720 last night. Be glad to call either place for you.
Gary

OK thanks. Sorry. thought it would be easier to get a new copy of the pdf. I will go back to best buy this weekend.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Guy,
Gary

OK thanks. Sorry. thought it would be easier to get a new copy of the pdf. I will go back to best buy this weekend.
If you haven't called Olympus yet, I would try them. Perhaps with your serial number in your hand (to show its not a grey market unit) they would send you a replacement disk. Of course, it would take a few weeks, and they may charge you.

I am not certain Best Buy would help. They aren't going to break the seal on a box just to help, and they probably don't have the ability to burn a CD for you. If you do go, take along you own CD or Zip disk. My manual is 8+ MBytes. [Actually, they may have a demo unit with an open disk.]
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:01 AM   #10

Ok thanks. That's what I figured with Best Buy. I will give Olympus a call...