Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:04 PM   #21

I've been tempted by the XZ-1 several times.... and moose69- you're not helping matters...
I really like the portraits... are they straight out of the camera- and what shutter speeds/iso was used...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:53 AM   #22

Hi Simon 40,
All the pics I've posted are straight out of the camera. Only 2 have been taken using the built in art filters. The park pic is using "pin hole" and the old canal bridge using "dramatic tone". The filters work well, but like anything if used to much can get a bit boring. Its a shame the "gritty black and white" looks so "newsprint" in effect and not a more usable monotone. But if used in low light and lit from a single source the effect can still be good. I suppose I'm expecting to much, but it would be nice if Olympus could improve on this and call it "Film Noir" instead. Still the inbuilt mono settings for normal picture taking are good and also include filtration to remove, red or yellow etc to darken the sky and improve contrast. I've attached a "gritty b/w pic for you all to see the effect.
The main reason I bought this camera was because I was trying to find something that could give me a Pentax k5 experience from a compact. The XZ-1 achieves that and more. The more being for me the most useful setting on the camera, which is the ND filter. Olympus really played a trump card by including this. I mentioned in my last post that I have a Fujix10. Well this also has a bright lens. But its really a struggle to use wide apertures in bright day light because you run out of shutter speed. The xz-1 will quite happily take a snap at F1.8 - 1/250 sec in bright sunlight. The Fuji will maybe allow you F6.3 at most. The ND filter makes all the difference.
Simon, to answer your question. I've had a look at the EXIF data and the info is as follows.
My daughter on the tram close up,
1/125 sec, F2.1, ISO100.
My daughter on the tram playing with her phone,
1/200 sec, F1.8, ISO100.
My son and his "cool gear",
1/50 sec, F1.9, ISO100

All pics straight out of the camera, only inbuilt filters used, no Photoshop.
Attached Images

Last edited by moose69; Jun 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM.
moose69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:39 AM   #23

Here's a vista as well. Lime House on a sunny day. Its a bit uphill in places, but looks nice. The camera meters really well with no overblown high-lite or shadow.

Can some of you lot post some pics and let us all know how you're getting on with the XZ-1?
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:17 PM   #24

Thanks for the exif info moose69- and yes, ND filters are a must on a fast lens compact to get the full benefit...
Nice pano' too..!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:19 PM   #25

I am impressed with OZ1 .... but OM D also fascinates me a lot
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcliu View Post
I am impressed with OZ1 .... but OM D also fascinates me a lot
the Z-1 is a nice compact camera that provides excellent shots.
Lot of users are impressed with the new OM-D EM5. That is a m4/3 camera and is discussed further down the page in the Olympus Micro Four Thirds forum.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ur-thirds-103/
They have posted some really sharp photos there. But again, that is an interchangeable lens camera and while small, it is not as small as the Z-1. The Z-1 is a true small compact that fits easily in your pocket.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose69 View Post
Here's a vista as well. Lime House on a sunny day. Its a bit uphill in places, but looks nice. The camera meters really well with no overblown high-lite or shadow.

Can some of you lot post some pics and let us all know how you're getting on with the XZ-1?
The XZ1 is fun to use. Had mine for about 6 months. Heres a few from it

Great for street shooting.
ivoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:32 PM   #28

Wow, imagine my surprise when I come back about a year later and my post is still at the top of this forum!

moose69 and ivoire, thanks for sharing your observations and great pictures! Many of them are just stunning.

After a year with the XZ-1, I'm still impressed by the picture quality and overall performance, and very happy with the camera. I haven't said that with many of my cameras. The only thing I'd really change is to add a little more zoom and much better battery life. I still am not getting good battery life out of my camera, but I guess that's the tradeoff for the spectacular images. It's a shame needing to carry around five+ batteries for a few days trip (I do take a LOT of pictures, but why not?). But, at least they are relatively inexpensive in the aftermarket, small, and lightweight.

I'll see if I can dig up some of my better pictures from the past year.

Last edited by aaroncgi; Jul 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:01 AM   #29

Would like to see them aaroncgi....
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:19 PM   #30

Hi aaroncgi,

I've read all over the internet about the xz-1 having poor battery life. I was at a classic car racing event at Brands Hatch last month and must of taken 300 pictures and still had some battery left. I have ver 1.3 firmware installed and have the screen set for mid brightness. I've also found that using the filters can effect battery life, probably due to the processor doing more work.