Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:37 PM   #51

Your new toy takes some pretty impressive pics. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:53 AM   #52

Well I got around to setting up a repair ticket and will ship it out in the next couple of days. We will see...
Ray50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray50 View Post
Well I got around to setting up a repair ticket and will ship it out in the next couple of days. We will see...
Good luck.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:24 PM   #54

The Schneider-Kruznach brings back memories from the late 60's. I had a Kodak Instamatic 500 (metal body) that had a Schneider-Kruznach lens on it. It really took some nice pics. I sold it just before they discontinued making the 126 catridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncgi View Post
I've never been one to follow the prestige of the various lens makers. They all sound fancy to me - Leica, Carl Zeiss, Zuiko, Schneider-Kruznach (say that 10 times fast) etc! As long as they produce great pictures, that's what counts to me.

I certainly agree on the price, though it seems online deals can be had for noticeably less than the $500 MSRP. I happen to work for an Olympus dealer, so I got a slightly better price, but only just.

So today I went ahead and ordered the Lensmate adapter tube, squeeze-on lens cap, and a polarizing filter. All should arrive in plenty of time for the trip. I'm hoping the tube will resolve my left hand grip issue, but if nothing else will protect the beautiful lens far better. I didn't even know Lensmate was only about an hour drive from me - always nice to support the local economy!

Aaron
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:26 PM   #55

Doesn't the VF3 have dioptor adjustment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncgi View Post
So I got my VF-3 viewfinder, after I got back from vacation. Unfortunately, it's just not going to work for me. The opening is just way too small for my eyeglassed peepers. In fact, the viewing opening is not any larger than the very small viewfinder on my Panasonic FZ28, which is a bit of a surprise. Putting my glasses right on the viewfinder still doesn't get me close enough to see the entire image in the finder. What I do see is highly detailed, bright, and looks great, but not being able to see the entire image is a deal breaker. I can get closer by removing my glasses, but there is not enough diopter adjustment to correct for my vision. Even with my glasses on, I have to adjust the diopter fully to one extreme to be in focus. But, it wouldn't be an acceptable solution to remove my glasses every time I want to take a shot, anyway.

I'm really disappointed in the VF-3, and I can only imagine this is far inferior to the VF-2, given all it's many praises as the 'best viewfinder in it's class', etc. Also, I find it's much harder to hold the camera two handed with the viewfinder attached, somewhat defeating the point. Sure, I could press the finder up to my glasses, but then it seriously smudges my glasses. And I would hate cleaning my glasses after every shot - I clean them enough as it is.

So, back to Olympus it goes. I have seen a device called a Clearviewer, so I will look into that.

On a better note, I scored a Raynox DCR-1540PRO 1.54x telephoto lens for $20 on eBay. It makes the XZ-1 a beast, as the lens weighs as much or more than the entire camera, but it will be great when needed. Unfortunately, I didn't know that these lenses can only be used at full zoom (at least without vignetting), but can't complain for the price!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:58 AM   #56

Default XZ-1 return

I hate posters that never follow up. Sooo I know it has been a few months but I did just mail out my XZ-1 last week. So far no reply from Olympus...they should easily have it by now? And I will follow up with a post of their reply.

Thanks again to SIMON40 and Steven R. Sorry it took me so long to get back on this.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:03 PM   #57

Okay, glad that it has been sent to Olympus, and hope they can do a fast turnaround and get your XZ-1 repaired quickly and back to you soon.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:20 AM   #58

Default XZ-1 Repair

Well they do have it.
I see some very nice pictures on this site taken with this camera...I am hopeful this will get resolved.

Steve R - Fast would be nice...even if they sent me a refurb it would be OK with me.
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:39 PM   #59

I'm glad they got it okay. Hope the repair goes swiftly. The XZ-1 is a super little camera and and it is understandable that you are anxious to get it back.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Doesn't the VF3 have dioptor adjustment?
Indeed it does. As I mentioned before, it doesn't have enough adjustment to correct for my naked eyesight, and with my glasses on, I can't really get close enough to the finder to see the entire image.

Sorry for the huge delay in response. I've just been still enjoying my XZ-1, no plans to upgrade it in the near future. I am visiting here again though, as I just bought my wife her own camera, rather than her just using my hand-me-downs. It's not an Olympus, but thought I'd pop in here to see what's new in the Olympus world.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote