Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:42 AM   #1

Default Follow up to, Help...need repairs

I posted this below in my other topic about needing repairs for a paintball shot to my camera, but thought maybe that was old enough that it might go unread, so I copied it here.
After 2 emails to Olympus trying to get a cost estimate for repairs, (both of which I got no returns on even after waiting 5 days each) I resorted to the good old 1-800 number and got thru to a very nice young lady. She said there is a standard repair price, with shipping and tax for my area comes to about $157. They repair whatever is damaged and check everything else over to make sure its up to factory specs and give you a 6 month warranty before shipping it back. I was real surprised at the cost !! Not that $157 is nothing but I thought it might be even $100 more. How can they fix anything thats broken for one set price. If I run over the camera with the car will it still be $157?? And will they still fix it ?? If its some $5 part would it still be $157?
Davcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:31 PM   #2

Funny. I was just jumping in here to rant about Olympus charging SO MUCH for repairs. I am furious that a camera I paid nearly $500 for failed, at no fault of my own, in just under 15 months, and those bastards are going to charge me $187 dollars to fix it since it's beyond the one year warranty. I can buy a new one on Ebay with another 1 year warranty for around $220. I would be a little less pissed off if it broke because I dropped it or something.

I know the quality of the photos that you get from an Olympus are superior, but I have a really bad taste in my mouth from this. I will be selling my camera when I get it back and shopping around for something else. I never was too happy with having to remember what all the icons in the Olympus menu represented. I much prefer the text menu selections from my old Fuji digicam and other brands that I've used from time-to-time.

By the way, what happened to your camera? I mean, what was broken and how'd it break?
rob_lake@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 3:37 PM   #3

Rob, Look a little farther down the page in the Olympus forum for a topic of Help...need repairs. http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=19139 Thats me and a description of my problem.
Davcar is offline   Reply With Quote