Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Tripod for C-5050, any suggestions?

I'm looking to do some portrait shots of my dogs. I would like to get some opinions on the name brands to look for.
Thanks in advance,
Lisa
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:52 PM   #2

You can spend as little as $10 and probably as much as $500 on tripods, and it depends on what you are looking for. Figure out how much budget you have to spend., and what kind of tripod you want (table top, stand alone, etc.).

I generally recomend going to the store with all of the gear you want to put on a tripod (camera, flash if you have it, flash bracket, maybe an umbrella for the flash if you are really going all out), and try the camera on the actual tripod with all of your gear, to see if the tripod is stable holding the gear. Mount the camera in both the vertical and horizontal positions to see whether both positions are stable. If you have a lot of gear, you need a heavy tripod. Next if you ever expect to take the tripod out of the house hold the camera in one hand and then extend and lock the legs. Also take down the tripod while holding the camera for good measure. After that, see if you can view through the viewfinder at eye level even though your current camera has an optical viewfinder and the LCD is more convenient to use on a tripod, your next camera might be a DSLR, and your back will complain if you have to hunch over to use the tripod. After you find a tripod that meets your needs, buy it from the store that you tried it out in.

For expensive tripods, the name brand is probably Bogen/Manfrotto. When I upgraded my tripod from the $19 Walmart special, I went with the Promaster 6300 which was sturdy enough to hold my C-2100UZ, flash, and flash bracket in either orientation, under $100, and tall enough that I could use the viewfinder without hunching over. At the time, Ritz had a decent selection of tripods in the under $100 category as did the small Promaster dealer near me, while the big camera store (Hunts in Melrose, MA) only had the cheap tripods or the really expensive ones that were out of my price range. For tabletop tripods, I like the Ultrapod II tripod that Hunts had for $17 (the outdoor store REI also sells them). One thing I like about the Ultrapod II is the attached velcro strap for attaching to trees or fence posts when I'm outside.
Michael Meissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:33 PM   #3

Thank you for that information. I'm going to look for one of those Ultra IIs right now.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote