Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:43 AM   #1

Default question about oly c750

i was thinking to upgrade my canon a40 to the new a80, but now i like the c750, specialy for the 10x zoom lens.its worth to spend some extra cash for c750?i want someone to expain what the Interpolated function is.how its work, is s/th like digital zoom?the image is clear at 3200 x 2400?
belucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:55 PM   #2

The A80 is a good camera with lots of settings, but as you said the C-750 has a 10X zoom and even more manual settings/functions. It really depends on what you need the camera for.

If you are interested in a more enthusiasts camera and capturing sport scenes, wild life,( not only) go for the C-750. If you want a more point and shoot camera for everyday use and low light situations e.g indoor (and like the swivel-lcd) go for the Canon.

As for the high interpolated resolution it should not be a factor influencing your decision cause similarly to the digital zoom does not offer extra detail and can be easily found in digital imaging programs eg: photoshop.

Interpolation increases the number of pixels in an image or fills in missing colour information by averaging the values of neighbouring pixels.

Hope i helped a bit. By the way i own a C-750 and had a Canon G2 for some time...still believe that the C-750 is a better camera
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:50 PM   #3

I upgraded from Oly700 to Oly750 - and I have to say: it's excellent.

I like it - I also use a CANON 10D and a Casio Exilim Z3.

Each camera for special actions ....
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:17 PM   #4

I've bought my Olympus C-750 fo about 3 months and I think it's pretty awsome. At least, for non pro use!
The 10x optical zoom make the difference for me, because I have 2 dogs and a cat that are most loved theme to shoot at.
Love, Andrea
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:34 PM   #5

Default Re: question about oly c750

Quote:
Originally Posted by belucky
i was thinking to upgrade my canon a40 to the new a80, but now i like the c750, specialy for the 10x zoom lens.its worth to spend some extra cash for c750?i want someone to expain what the Interpolated function is.how its work, is s/th like digital zoom?the image is clear at 3200 x 2400?
The 10X is the bee's knees! No doubt. Extra optical zoom is worth heaps over extra pixels on the sensor. 10X zoom compared to 6X zoom is as 8.5MPi is to 3 MPi, roughly speaking.

The oly 750 is a complex camera, although you can use it full auto. It is easy to find yourself "in the wrong place" because you forgot one aspect <G>. but once you have stopped exploring the "world" of the cameras so much and setled down to commin ujsage, it is not so bad.

As was said, interpolation averages the pixesl to give a "smoother" shot. It does work. It does not give greater detail, but gets rid of obvious pixelation at large magnifications. It gives the _appearance_ of a smoother shot. I gave up using the in-camera one, though. It takes up more memory (less shots per card), takes longer to store shots, and you can do the same job in Paint Shop pro etc later on.

Don't worry. The image is clear at 2288*1712! You can get good a4 prints from that, and acceptable poster prints IMO.

Interpolation is not like digital zoom. best not use the digizoom. You cannot retrieve the shit later. Better to take up to 10X, then use a PC softweare to crop to what you want. In all cases you lose definition with digizoom/cropping, but with the PC based stuff you do it your leisure and you can change your mind.

Is it worth it? That's up to you! :-< I am reasonably happy with mine, after comparing to a couple of others (Fuji 602 mostly) and feel that as far as digicams go it was as good away to spend my money as I could find.

The main shortcoming that I have seen commented about is slow focussing. I have not been able to compare objectively with other cameras to say any more.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:04 PM   #6

thank you all my friends for replying.you are very helpful.
i have 1700mAh ni-mh battaries from my a40,have the power to work good with c750?
belucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:59 PM   #7

1700ma batteries will work just fine. I've used some old 1400Ma with my 730UZ and they allow me to take close to 100 shots.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belucky
thank you all my friends for replying.you are very helpful.
i have 1700mAh ni-mh battaries from my a40,have the power to work good with c750?
I have 2100 mAH NiMH, and all I can say is that I have not yet bothered to measure their performance, because it's more than adequate <G>. I would say a half day's average use? It's hard to measure how many shots, because the camera is doing other stuff all the time, even if you are not shooting a shot.

Tips:

- the sleep mode helps a lot, and is fairly quick to react to "wake up". I use the default 3 mins.. If I was in situation where I might suddenly need a shot, every 5 minutes, then I would turn it off
- if you have constant AutoFocus on, place the lens hood on if you are walking around. It uses batteries. The hood stops it trying after a few seconds of hunting.
- just remember, if you look through the viewfinder and see blackness, you may have both teh hood and sleep running <G>
- zooming uses more battery than shots, from my experience with video cameras.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote