Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:17 AM   #1

Default HELP!!! Olympus C-750. it's ISO max, and panaramas

I am looking at the C-750 because of it's 10x optical zoom, and because of the "stitchable panarama" capability. My fear is that it's max ISO is only 400. Is this going to be a headache for me if I am doing a lot of zooming? especially in early mornings or late afternoons? Thanks
JohnSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:32 AM   #2

IMO, you will strike the limits, as you do with any camera/film etc.
However, even at ISO 400 the noise fador becomes significant, and higher would be worse.. I rarely go above 100 and only sometimes use 200. I use 200 for action shots in the bush (such as my dog going crazy) where I have dimmer light and need a faster shutter.

This AFAIK, is more or less common to all cameras with 4MPi and above on the sensor sizes they are using. The 3.7 aperture limit at full zoom can be limiting. There are a couple of cameras with faster lenses, but nowhere the zoom ratio. You pays your money and you takes your choice. :-<

From what I have seen, you would pay a _lot_ more money to get close to the zoom, with a wider aperture. You are starting to talk DSLR, with various lenses, larger sensors, and therefore larger, much larger lenses.

What sort of zooming are you going to to do? If it's scenery, then use a nearby rock/fence post, or get a mono/tripod. If it's trying to catch a seagull, then learn to pan. If ut's _real_ action, then ....hmmm $$$$?

I will run some tests this evening, using various ISOs, and see what happens, if that will help.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:51 AM   #3

You probably wouldnít be happy with shots over ISO 400 anyway. It is nice to have higher if you are willing to use a noise reduction program, but it isnít something you would want to do with a lot of shots as it takes a while for each one. And the noise gets high enough you lose resolution even if you are willing to fool around with a noise reduction program. Neat Image has a free version that does a decent job.

You might want to look at the Panasonic FZ10. It has a stabilized 12X zoom so the ISO limitation isnít so significant for shots like you describe. It is also f2.8 at 12X where the 750 is f8 at 10X. A lot more light gets in for long tele shots.

The panorama mode just sets the focus and exposure for the first shot and keeps track of them for use in the Camedia software. You can do the same thing with cameras without a panorama mode using manual, but it isnít as handy.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:55 AM   #4

You might want to look at the Panasonic FZ10. It has a stabilized 12X zoom so the ISO limitation isnít so significant for shots like you describe. It is also f2.8 at 12X where the 750 is f8 at 10X.

A lot more light gets in for long tele shots.

[/quote]

***Correction. The Oly is 3.7 at 10X zoom.*** I agree that there is a difference, but not as bad as you present. Also, I notice it is at the cost of edge softness. In other words they have used more of the lens to to get the extra aperture at zoom.

There is also quite a price differential.

I have a question of genuine interest. How does stabilisation handle _subject_ movement?

I may be a little jealous of the ability to spend the extra <G> but I would have sussed thta camera carefully before coughing up.

[/quote]
The panorama mode just sets the focus and exposure for the first shot and keeps track of them for use in the Camedia software. You can do the same thing with cameras without a panorama mode using manual, but it isnít as handy.[/quote]

Agreed.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 1:39 PM   #5

The C-750 is an excellent camera and can be handheld easily to take action shots at full 10x zoom. Take a look at my web page and you can compare C-750, C-740 and Panasonic FZ2 images.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote