Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:05 PM   #1

Default C-5060 menu crashes / failures?

Hi All -

I purchased a new C-5060 camera for christmas, and 3 weeks later the camera appears to have crashed - buttons fail to work, the LCD display operates intermittently, the menuing system is inoperative.

I sent the camera to Olympus west coast repair 6 days ago and they are apparently working on it.

I have heard mention of a bad batch of cameras, and the symptoms of my camera suggest an operating system crash - after all, the camera is basically a computer which uses a lens for input rather than a keyboard.

Is anyone else aware of such failures or a statement from Olympus of a problem with the C-5060?

BTW - the camera worked wonderfully until it went into "randomness" mode.

- rob
tbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2004, 1:58 AM   #2

I'm not aware of such a problem, but as you bring up, with any device such things can happen.

I'm sorry for your temporary loss.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 2:28 PM   #3

Default Problem in the buttons

That problem is happening a lot.
Doesn't still exist an I diagnose correct, and the worst is that is intermittent.
It is already hour of Olympus to recognize the problem, and to take one makes arrangements honest and decent.

see other forums..

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=17269

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6968589
AGSouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:15 AM   #4

Default Olympus C5060 early function failure

:evil: me too just bought an Olympus C5060 wide zoom. it was excellent in the photo quality, even in low light condition.

but very disappointed the camera fail to function on the 3rd day of purchase. the zoom, menu, dail, flash & expose button were all failed to response.??? :evil: it had some kinds of funny "crashing" sound during the lens reach the tele position when startup. i don't knw what is going wrong. power on-off the camera doesn't help at all.

i have heard about certain bad batch of production and was careful during the purchase, checking many functions,... etc. but still the problem happened within a few days.

i hope Olympus can seriously look into this early failure problem and provide solution asap. it really spoilt the reputation of Olympus a reliable camera manufacturer.

disappointed,
ysone.
ysone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:28 PM   #5

my c5060 lasted 40 days. This morning when I powered it up the lens started to hunt, then it started to bleep, then hunt, then bleep, .......... until finally powering down with the lens stuck out. Have returned it for a refund and a rethink.
ba.roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:41 PM   #6

Default Same problem with my 5060

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba.roberts
my c5060 lasted 40 days. This morning when I powered it up the lens started to hunt, then it started to bleep, then hunt, then bleep, .......... until finally powering down with the lens stuck out. Have returned it for a refund and a rethink.
Hi ba. roberts.

Sounds like your camera did the very same thing as mine did, back on boxing day. I posted the story back then, and have been meaning to post what happened since I got it back. Back in late Dec, there had been a number of posts from members telling about they're new Oly c-5060wz camera's going haywire soon after purchase. Yours is the first I've found identical to mine. All the other ones seem to experience similar malfunctions, which causes me to conclude, their's some kind of software glitch ( not that I'm a technician or anything). After reading all the new posts I found about the same type of problems, it was somewhat of a relief knowing that mine wasn't the only one! I don't mean this in a bad way.

I know all too well how I went from "100 mile an hour high" x-mas day, too a screeching halt, the next :x It's a shame that all buyers have had to go through this type of thing. My point is, I was thinking maybe I was the unlucky one that bought a "lemon", but now I know, this is a manufacturers problem! Seems like Olympus has chosen not to put out a recall and just let the camera's roll into the repair shop, as they break down. Sure doesn't cast a very positive light on the company name, if you ask me.

So now, the good stuff. I got it back from repairs three weeks later.. ( Jan19/04) and I've been taking at least 30-40 pic's per day ever since, giving it a good going over and, so far, so good.

All in all, I love the image quality. It almost impossible to get bad looking pictures, be it, in full auto or full manual.What I've learned this last month, is the more I read through and re-read through the Cd manual and committe all the different symbols and functions too memory, the more fun I'm having using it! I've been reading the manual with the camera at my side, and go through the motions with it and see how it work's. That's been a big help!

In closing, I'd like to share my opinion with those new Oly 5060 owners that haven't had a malfunction yet. Yes it's unfortunate that these things happen and are very frustrating to say the least! I would only caution to really stop and think about the natural instinct of wanting to return the camera for a full refund! If you do,I feel you would be giving up owning an otherwise excellent piece of photographic equipment, if you choose not to keep it rather than getting it repaired! Either way, it's the individuals decision

I'm glad I've got mine back, I'm glad it's over and I've put it behind me and just enjoying it every time I pick it up. If it had to happen, I'm glad it did early on and not when I'll be on my trip half way across Canada this summer. Good luck to all of you new 5060 owners, and many years of happy shooting.

Cheers,

Pepe.
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:34 PM   #7

Default Potential problems with Oly 5060

I'd been tossing between the Oly 5060 and Sony 717 for quite a while and had decided on the Olympus until the recent post in this forum. Has anyone else out there had similar problems with recent purchases? I've been watching EBay with a reliable seller, but now I'm not as sure of my decision. Any thoughts?
siberhusky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 1:45 AM   #8

Default Re: Potential problems with Oly 5060

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberhusky3
I'd been tossing between the Oly 5060 and Sony 717 for quite a while and had decided on the Olympus until the recent post in this forum. Has anyone else out there had similar problems with recent purchases? I've been watching EBay with a reliable seller, but now I'm not as sure of my decision. Any thoughts?
Hey siberhusky3:

It's a tough call for you,which way to go? No doubt, theirs some kind of malfunction going on with the Oly 5060, based on several posts I've read sine the camera came out! Like I said, mine died the second day, sent it out for repairs and it's been ok since!!! ( one month ago) All you can do is talk to the retailer about these issues that have been coming up, and go from there! Personally, I'm glad I kept mine. Only three minor annoyances I have with it. The top control panel is not backlit, so it's hard to see settings in low light. Steve's reviews on the 5060 and 5050 had the issue's with that! Not the end of the world mind you, but , it should've been a no brainer at Olympus. :?

Two other things, more of a personal thing than anything else. At first I found the power switch hard to turn off. The tab is flush with the outside of the body, making it hard to get my finger in behind it to pull it back, into the off position. I'm getting used to it now, though. Same with the last thing, I found the shutter button being at an angle, somewhat awkward at first being used to all my other camera's shutter button being on a horizontal plain. This too seems be be passing with use and not noticing so much anymore.

I hope this will help you come up with a decision, on which way to go? I'm happy with mine, now that all the B.S. is over with. I love the camera! Goodluck.

Cheers,

Pepe.
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:05 AM   #9

If it helps anybody make a decision it is worth knowing that I have ordered another 5060 from a different supplier (the original supplier has stopped doing digital cameras to concentrate on consumables). I was more than happy with the camera and very impressed with the results until it crashed. The new retailer tells me that they have sold 200+ 5060s without any problem, so perhaps we were just unlucky.
ba.roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 9:00 AM   #10

Default Thanks!

Appreciate your responses. While I've held the Sony 717, I haven't located the Oly 5060 locally yet. I'll be sure to check out the items you mentioned with regard to ergonomics. Whew....wish I were taking pictures right now and this part was behind me! Thanks again!
siberhusky3 is offline   Reply With Quote