Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4
Default 750 slow response on the button

I have been using a c-3000 for the past 3 years and rcvd a c-750 for christmas. I have been playing with it, and the button response time is terrible. My 3000 takes better photos. Im a Mom of 3 who likes to take LOTS of pics so I always have the camera out and the 750 has let me down 8 out of 10 shots. I am wondering if I am using the camera wrong for starters, since the 3000 is a easy point and shoot is this one worth learning for me? I need some input from someone with more experience with this camera or just more knowledge in the digital field. Thank you
new750user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 824
Default

Not sure what you mean by slow button time. Slow focus, or lag between pushing the button and actual exposure? How have you determined that it's slow? Blurry shots or something else?

To speed up focusing it might help to set the camera for full-time autofocus (manual p. 73). Virtually all digicams have the problem of a bit of lag between shutter press and actual taking, which makes it imperative to hold the camera still even a bit after pressing the shutter button. If you're getting blurry shots it could be a result of excessive zoom at too slow shutter times (10x zoom is very hard to hand hold without camera shake). Shooting indoors without flash will almost always give excessively slow shutter speeds, in which case you need to either use flash, increase the ISO, or use shutter priority with a minimum shutter speed of about 1/60.
HTH
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:08 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4
Default Re: 750 slow response on the button

Quote:
Originally Posted by new750user
I have been using a c-3000 for the past 3 years and rcvd a c-750 for christmas. I have been playing with it, and the button response time is terrible. My 3000 takes better photos. Im a Mom of 3 who likes to take LOTS of pics so I always have the camera out and the 750 has let me down 8 out of 10 shots. I am wondering if I am using the camera wrong for starters, since the 3000 is a easy point and shoot is this one worth learning for me? I need some input from someone with more experience with this camera or just more knowledge in the digital field. Thank you
After your advise I did go to pg 73 and changed from spot to iesp and the iesp seems to work better (from taking a couple of shots ) I have been getting blurry shots and yeh the lag, but maybe after adjusting that I will have a better time at it. I will play during the daylight with action of the kids and see what I get. Is there any more advice you could give me on taking photos i.e (indoor pics without the yellow?) . Thank you for the info
new750user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 824
Default

(indoor pics without the yellos)

If you're shooting without flash, it sounds like a white balance problem. Check out the section of the manual on setting White Balance (p.107 in the online manual), and try setting for tungsten; if that doesn't work, try the various fluorescent WB settings and see how they affect the color.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 1:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ImKayd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,785
Default

I hate to say it but it sounds like problems I had with the 750. I gave mine 3 days and decided I didn't like it well enough to learn more(but thats me). Exchanged mine for a 5050 and have been going well from 1st picture. A learning curve yes but in my opinion a much more acceptable one.

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 9:38 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
(indoor pics without the yellos)

If you're shooting without flash, it sounds like a white balance problem. Check out the section of the manual on setting White Balance (p.107 in the online manual), and try setting for tungsten; if that doesn't work, try the various fluorescent WB settings and see how they affect the color.

I will give that a try
new750user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Imacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Posts: 474
Default

I never had the problem you have. I shoot in manuel mode. Learn about shutter speed and apature. The 750 is a great camera if you can operate it in manuel mode, learn more about the options this camera gives you.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 2:05 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13
Default

I am a new c-720 owner. I attempted to take pictures of my daughters basketball game today. It was indoors, light wasn't too great. I was shooting from 20-100 ft away. I tried both the auto and the 'sport' (or whatever they call it) mode. The damn thing focused worse than Ray Charles on a drinking binge.

I will try some of these recommendations and actually read the manual. Hope it works. If not, when are the SLRs gonna get cheap?
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 3:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c
I am a new c-720 owner. I attempted to take pictures of my daughters basketball game today. It was indoors, light wasn't too great. I was shooting from 20-100 ft away. I tried both the auto and the 'sport' (or whatever they call it) mode. The darn thing focused worse than Ray Charles on a drinking binge.

I will try some of these recommendations and actually read the manual. Hope it works. If not, when are the SLRs gonna get cheap?
I donít think you can handhold indoor shots without flash with the zoom at 8X. What you think is bad focus might be just blur caused by camera shake.

Pay attention to the shutter speed. At 8X zoom you have an equivalent focal length of 320mm. The reciprocal rule says you need at least 1/300 sec shutter speed to handhold the shot. Your best aperture at 8X is f3.7 and you need a good bit of light to get 1/300. Look in the manual and see what the shake warning looks like in the viewfinder if it has one. That means you donít have a fast enough shutter speed for the focal length you have selected.

Sports mode will select the fastest shutter available for the conditions, but it canít select a speed faster than necessary for the available light. The shutter speed and aperture will show in the viewfinder. If the aperture is at f3.7 it is using the fastest shutter speed it can to properly expose the picture. The only thing you can do is reduce the telephoto toward wide angle or use a tripod if the shutter speed is much lower than 1/300. At full wide angle you can shoot at 1/60 or even 1/30 if you steady the camera well. Anything moving in the shot will blur some at that speed though.

A powerful flash unit would work up to 80 feet or so but you donít have a hot shoe.

DSLRs arenít a panacea. You still have to stay within the capabilities of your camera/lens. You can get faster lenses for a DSLR but it still hard to get telephoto shots indoors handheld. And a fast stabilized telephoto lens for a DSLR probably isnít going to fit within your idea of ďcheapĒ anytime soon. Neither is a dedicated flash powerful enough to photograph a basketball game.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 1:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacer
I never had the problem you have. I shoot in manuel mode. Learn about shutter speed and apature. The 750 is a great camera if you can operate it in manuel mode, learn more about the options this camera gives you.

I would like to learn more about the shutter speed and apature, is the best way to learn to play with it or would a class be better? I have always been a point and shoot, and have done well with that but now I would like to do more detail when it comes to photos with the kids. Thanks for the input
new750user is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:58 AM.