Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:09 PM   #1

Default Olympus 5050 + Telephoto lens

I have an Olympus C-5050 and I am considering purchasing a telephoto lens. I have a couple questions regarding possible options.

First, is it possible to greatly reduce (or eliminate) the vignetting at wide angle by using lens adapter utilizing a larger transition (41mm to 52mm)?

Second, is there a limitation on the telephoto strength (2x, 3x, etc.)?

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
t2grn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:23 PM   #2

Technically what you're looking for is a teleconverter. All teleconverters are designed to work at maximum zoom; hence you won't have any vignetting problems. The magnification will typically be in the 1.4 to 1.8 range. I use the Raynox DCR-1850PRO which works quite well with the C5050.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 12:39 PM   #3

Thanks!
t2grn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:16 PM   #4

It occurred to me that I may have misinterpreted your first question. I presume you meant to ask about vignetting problems associated with filters, not with a teleconverter.

In that case, bigger won't hurt but isn't necessarily better. The standard CLA-1 tube will work just fine at wide angle. If you already have a set of 52mm filters, however, you can use them as well. The main problem with a larger diameter tube is that it gets in the way of the viewfinder (the smaller one does too but to a lesser extent). The other problem is flash shadow. Any lens tube will cause a shadow when you use the built-in flash. The shadow will be worse with the larger tube.

Generally if you are going to use a lens tube you will need to frame shots with the LCD, and I would also recommend using an external flash such as the FL-40.

Hope this helps.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote