Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:16 PM   #1

Default Help with 750...taking basketball shots

Hi....I'm new to the boards. I got my 750 last fall. I love the camera, but am having a REALLY hard time with action shots. I have a child in basketball. I know gyms aren't the best place for photos, but the blur is driving me crazy. This is my first digital camera and I'm learning as I go. Hoping someone here can offer some advice....
This weekend I tried the following settings (and I'll give my results)...
First...just the action mode - great color but tons of blur.
Second...turned the shutter up to 1/1000 - no blur but VERY dark
pic.
Third...I turned my ISO to 400 (have no clue what that is) - lighted my pic a little.
Fourth...I turned down my shutter to between 125 and 200 left my ISO at 400 - not to bad, better pics, but still some blur especially at the lower shutter settings.
I know there is a way to get good pics without blur. I've seen others. I just have no clue how to do it. I'm no good at manual settings, I usually just use the ones provided on the camera.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I know it's a learning process, but it's discouraging when all your pics turn out bad!
MurphyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:26 PM   #2

ISO is the "film speed," the higher the number, the faster the image can be captured.

Can you select ISO 400 and let the camera select the shutter speed?
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 4:05 AM   #3

have you tried a combination of relatively high ISO eg 200 (if higher will produce too much noise), wide aperture and a fast shutter speed?
and/or burst mode?or simply a shutter priority mode ? need to consider as well that the closer you are to the court and less zoom used the better.
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:16 AM   #4

Yes, I tried the high ISO and went the faster on the shutter until it was to dark. Those were the best pics so far. Not sure what burst mode is...I'll look that up.

Thanks for the tips!
MurphyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyZ
Yes, I tried the high ISO and went the faster on the shutter until it was to dark. Those were the best pics so far. Not sure what burst mode is...I'll look that up.

Thanks for the tips!
Welcome to the world of compromise! :-< That's photos, whether digicams or film.

Gym shots are always a problem. Fast movement in dim conditions.

No flash allowed (and anyway flash usually only works for a few feet)

Another thing is focussing under these conditions. Best to try to use a wider shot again, focussing on a place that is in the midlle distance of where you expect the action. Thentake shots and hope for the best.

You need to have the aperture as wide open as you can. Zoom shots will close the aperture from F2.8 at wide to F3.7 at full zom, with bits in between. I would suggest you have to try wider shots, cropping later on your PC, using the HQ setting (not Super HQ if you have software to manipulate photos. It's just a waste of time and space if you do)

I would not suggest going above ISO 200, unless you are really desperate. It gets noisy.

If you go to Manual mode and set M for Manual. You can then set Aperture and Shutter Speed. The camera has an EV compensation indicator in the TRHC of the viewfinder. If thart's red, you need to adjust the shutter speed (probably down in your case :&lt. This may sound tedious, but it is the best way to get the good shots.

On compensation is that the light will usually tent to be fairly even, hopefully. SO once you are set up, you can leave it there with a reasonable hope of shots.

BTW, if you keep the noise down( lower ISO rating) you can do a lot with a dark shot in such programmes as Paint Shop Pro (with which no digicamist should be without!)
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote