Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 11, 2004, 3:37 PM   #1

Default Olympus C750; Is an Olympus branded xD card required?

Hi all, this is my first post. THis forum is so well done!

Anyway, a friend has an olympus and found restrictions on using other vendor's cards (sandisk, etc) with his camera because some functions were gone like Panorama. I have not purchased the Olympus C750 that I've been researching yet - but would like to know the restrictions on buying these cards. I've seen xD cards labeled "olympus" but if you read the fine print on these cards, they list a vendor is Sandisk or Lexar or whatever... so Olympus must be rebranding these cards before selling them.

1. do you have to buy an Olympus branded card in order to ensure we get all our cameras features?
2. if so, what "sub vendor" is a good one or bad one
3. any knowledge would be appreciated.

I anticipate biting the bullet and getting either a 512mb card (which currently is about $200) or 2 256mb cards which are about $100 each. THANKS SO MUCH! :roll:
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:07 PM   #2

You only have to have Olympus cards in order to get the automatic panorama stiching feature. If you're planning mostly on doing ordinary photos, any vendor's xD cards will be fine. I have two Fuji cards and one 128M Olympus card, which I bought only so I'd be able to do the panoramas in the rare event I might want to use that feature (I don't much).
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:08 PM   #3

The only feature you lose with a card other than Oly is the panorama. I personally find it very useful but others could care less.

There is not anything on the card actually needed for panoramas other than some code identifying it as Oly. It is a pretty sleazy stunt by Oly to get you to buy their cards. They have done it for years dating back to SM cards.

xD cards are all faster than the camera. Any that Oly puts their name (and stupid code) on are going to be fine. If you are not interested in the panorama function any major brand will probably work as well as any other. The basic specs of xD cards are very fast, and no quality brand is going to go very far below those specs.

Some people prefer two 256 cards. I personally much prefer a single 512. The things are little and easy to lose, and changing in a hurry in the field might result in bent pins Ė although that is a relatively rare occurrence. You still have to put them in their little case and find a secure place where they wonít get misplaced Ė maybe less than ideal on a dark night by flashlight.. Card failure is very rare and I donít think redundancy is a valid argument for multiple cards.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanks for your help! I am quite sure I am not interested in the panorama feature. So this will help in buying my cards.

I also like the idea of the big 512mb card versus a 256mb. Maybe I am being too paranoid when there's no need ? I like the idea of popping in the large card and not worrying about running out of space. That's the best part.

thanks all !
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:48 AM   #5

Default Other xD cards?

I actually don't know of many available xD cards than Olympus and Fuji (situation in central Europe).
The two are more or less the same price, which would lead me to buy the original one because of the Panorama (though you don't use it much).
Anyway I agree it's really a stupid artifical limit of Olympus Camedia Master :twisted:
MartinCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:39 AM   #6

The limitation is not just in Camedia Master Ė the camera wonít work in pano mode. Without pano mode you have to shoot in manual and often have to set manual white balance.

I carried a little 35mm Oly 38-80 pocket camera for years. I switched to a 35mm Konica 28-70 zoom pocket camera and was amazed at how much more versatile the camera was with the wide angle capability. I was really disappointed when I switched to digital that there wasnít a 28mm wide zoom available in a pocket camera. I bought a D7i with wide capability but was stuck with 38mm in my little Oly C50. Then I discovered the ease of taking two panos with the camera held vertically and I now have a 27mm wide camera in my little belt pouch.

The viewfinder shows only 85% of the view, and if you perfectly align the edges of the optical viewfinder the Camedia software has enough overlap to stitch them perfectly. Other pano software needs more overlap. I moved pano to one of my primary menus and know the button pushes to get into vertical pano without having to refer to the menu. In probably 90% of the cases I need a wide angle lens the two vertical panos work for me. It is almost as quick as taking a single shot and very easy to stitch in Camedia. It works for scenic shots, interiors and even group shots if people arenít moving. You can just yell ďFIREĒ and snap two real fast while everyone is frozen in fear. Most people seem to prefer you to tell them you have to take two shots, but it isnít as much fun.

I walked out back and snapped these for another thread. They are taken from the same spot. The top one is the full 38mm wide from my C50. The bottom one is two vertical panos stitched to give about a 27mm wide shot with the advantage of being about 8.5Mp. That makes a difference on a 13 X 19 print as the higher Mp takes me from 135 PPI to 182 PPI if I donít have to crop. I can see the difference in the print. I also take wider panoramas occasionally, but the two vertical shot wide is something I use quite often.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 3:33 AM   #7

Default It's stupid anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
The limitation is not just in Camedia Master Ė the camera wonít work in pano mode. Without pano mode you have to shoot in manual and often have to set manual white balance.
Yes, you're right. But this limitation isn't less artificial and stupid.

Quote:
Then I discovered the ease of taking two panos with the camera held vertically and I now have a 27mm wide camera in my little belt pouch.
Very good idea. I occassionaly use panorama but I didn't try this application yet.
MartinCZ is offline   Reply With Quote