Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 13, 2004, 5:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkusmier
Nickagain, you suggested that you had heard grumblings about stuck pixels, etc. on the C-750; snip
I wasn't implying that YOU were one of those people. I meant to say that you should take these grumblings with a grain of salt.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Sorry. I was a bit prickly. You gave me info I needed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This explains our differing opinions - I ALWAYS enable NR on exposures longer than 2-3 seconds, regardless of ISO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hah! I _had_ no opinions! That's why I was asking. Let's say "experiences" <G>

Actually there is an opinion thing. I would prefer to not use the in-camera stuff, and work on the shots later. I actually pretty well repeated NR in PSP8, with much the same loss of sharpness. Guess there's always that feeling that maybe I can do better! <G> That could well be. These cameras do not always do the best job. $$ sometimes cause just a few compromises. <G>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jayp, I don't know what to tell you. There are MANY consumer
snip
I wish the camera was a more capable performer in certain conditions, but I wasn't surprised by its limitations because I was aware of them when I bought my camera.

There's no such thing as a single-camera solution amongst consumer digicams. If you want that, you'll need a dSLR.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And lenses. Don't forget the lenses :-<

I feel that the long lens is the winner here. I do like most things about the 750's performance, and I like being able to carry a 320mm lens literally around in my pocket.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 3:49 PM   #22

I chose the C750 partly because it has got some noise. No, I'm not being daft, I've looked at so many different camera images and find I have to mostly ignore reviewers verdicts because just about any consumer camera image with low noise has just been horrendously over-processed in-camera to get rid of the noise. So many reviews for instance rated the Kodak DX6490 as giving better images than the C750 but without fail any image with grass in it was a disaster on the Kodak, and people's skin looked like it was coated in plastic cling film. If there's any noise to get rid of I would rather do it myself, it's much better done off-camera anyway.
The only real issue with the C750 is the less than brilliant low light focusing but I knew about that before I bought it and there's ways round that problem. Mine focuses perfectly outdoors and indoors under normal lighting, it's just when the light is lower than that it could be better, but I just stick to wideangle and manual focus set to 8ft and use flash for indoor snaps in poor light. I'm getting a pattern laser pointer though.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:23 AM   #23

I chose the C750 partly because it has got some noise. No, I'm not being daft, I've looked at so many different camera images and find I have to mostly ignore reviewers verdicts because just about any consumer camera image with low noise has just been horrendously over-processed in-camera to get rid of the noise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting. I was beginning to suspect this. Where I live the opportunities to look at the right gear are limited. It's the biggest "small town" I know <G>. But I was happy with the Oly's pictures compared to a couple of others, for various reasons.

The noise that is the real bright spots on slow shots is very tedious to get rid of manually. The choice between noise reduction with picture deterioration and doing it spot by spot is a tough one. I have not found an automatic PC-based process that is as good as in-camera NR reduction for removing these spots, without the same deterioration of the image. I can dramatically minimise the spots using the lens cap shot method, and then manually remove the rest. But I really have to want the shot! :-<

Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:36 AM   #24

I've now got a patterned laser pointer on a key ring attached to the wrist strap mount which helps at up to 8ft distances to get a focus lock in a darkish room. You need a small pattern with straight lines, a dot doesn't work, and a UK legal low power one definitely helps but it still isn't perfect, it doesn't work if shone at a dark colour, only if shone at a light colour. I wonder if a bright white LED type may be better but then you would have to rely on subject contrast rather than a laser pattern for the cam to focus on.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:32 PM   #25

Does "UK Legal" meean you _can_ look into the laser with your remaining eye? <G>

My point is, I would be leery of taking shots of people with suh a device.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:51 PM   #26

UK legal means 1mw power. The instructions say NOT to shine into people's eyes. From what I've read, permanent eye damage shouldn't occur with 1mw as the blink reflex will save your eyesight but it won't be very pleasant.

The main danger evidently is drivers having lasers shone in their eyes by kids while driving causing accidents. A pattern laser will have a much less focussed beam so be be even less of a danger but I won't be using it for people directly, just to get a distance focussed (occasionally).
Old Feb 21, 2004, 7:38 PM   #27

Dick Ociepka has posted some photos of the FL-40 focus assist lamp which seems to be like a reddish focused flashlight;

http://community.webshots.com/album/120012194ilBqHT
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 9:52 PM   #28

Many digicam can "see" IR. I was wondering about using that as a direct focussing aid. I tried to buy some high power ines, btu had trouble dealing with the guy who was selling them :-<

I guess you'd need to turn off the IR before taking the shot! <G>

I was also wondering about whether IR diodes could damage eyes. I know there are visible LEDs out there that are not healthy to look at.

I believe the IR focussers that are normally used actualy do not rely on "focussing" at all, but actually measure distance.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 2:34 PM   #29

General question:

How do reviewers measure and compare noise levels?
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 5:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooperdog
Dick Ociepka has posted some photos of the FL-40 focus assist lamp which seems to be like a reddish focused flashlight;

http://community.webshots.com/album/120012194ilBqHT
I suppose those pictures mean something. I am just not sure what. <G>