Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:24 PM   #11

Quote:
770 also has a bigger LCD screen
Though larger LCD screens usually eat batteries faster as well (dunno in this case).
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:26 AM   #12

it never caused me problems the fact that the C_750 has not IS.IS doesnt make such a big difference anyway.
Maybe on few occasions when using full telephoto and the light is dim (indoors where you wouldnt need 10x zoom anyway, or really cloudy day) and longer exposure is needed.
But still i always find somewhere to stand on or hold of, and out of 5 photos at least a couple turn out good.
So i wouldnt hold it against Olympus of not having IS in the camera.
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 5:26 PM   #13

Hi !

Since some people here miss the C-765/770 s remote control...

I have found two websites where they say you can get them (at least) separately.

Under optional accessories you find it here:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/news/200...216c770uze.cfm

as "RM-1 Multi-Function Remote Control" (scroll down the page!)

and here:

http://www.digit-all-cameras.com/new...ltra_zoom.html

under "Availability": listed as "RM-2 Remote Control"

so one time as RM-1, then as RM-2 Remote Control .....somehow strange maybe, BUT you CAN have an optional R.C. if you need it.

I am interested in the C-770, though I am still not 100% sure which cam it will be that I will choose in the coming weeks/months.

Bye !

Hope that helps some of you with your decision...

verne99
verne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 12:29 PM   #14

The C-770's big deal is its MPEG-4 movie mode, which offers VHS quality (30 frames a second). As well it has a dual flash (wide angle and telephoto).

As a serious photographer and 2 year C-700 owner though, I'd prefer the C-750 with its AA batteries.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 1:46 PM   #15

If the C750 is significantly cheaper than the C770 and movie performance is of no importance then it's got to be the C750, it's a bargain. Picture quality has got to be the main criteria surely, and I can't see any difference in all the C770 shots I've seen to what I would expect to get with my C750.

Lack of IS on my C750 is a total non-issue to me, I only expect to get excellent shots in reasonable light on any non-DSLR camera and I'm not interested in non-excellent shots; under these conditions I've never had any camera shake blur even zoomed to x10 taking the shot and zooming in x5 in PSP8 afterwards. Low light focus isn't too much of an issue either given my 'excellent shot' criteria, and it responds very well to a laser pen anyway. The AF is actually very good above a certain light threshold, and indoors it works OK under artificial light or subdued daylight if you keep the zoom level down a bit. Good AA's will last twice as long as the new proprietary battery Oly have decided to use, so that's another reason for the C750. Get one while you can.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 1:59 PM   #16

jhimmel wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, the C-770/C-765 will NOT have a remote in the package, OR as an option. Because of this, I will not be purchasing the C-770 as planned, and will now consider the Canon Powershot S1 which has IS and an available (optional) remote.

To me, a digicam with 10X zoom and no IS (C-770) NEEDS a way to put it on a tripod and actuate the shutter remotely.

It's a shame, because the cannon is only 3mp and is bulkier and heavier than the C-770. I think Olympus blew it on this one.

Jim H.
I just bought the C-770 and unless I'm hallucinating there is a remote in the package (as I've used it to sneak pictures of people when they were not expecting them ;-)).

My only complaint with it is that the photos tend to have a bit more noise than I'd like even at ISO64 ... I'm guessing that the same problem plagued the C-750, but have never used one so can't be sure of that.

--Brandon
lostlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 2:18 PM   #17

SteveB wrote:
Quote:
Good AA's will last twice as long as the new proprietary battery Oly have decided to use, so that's another reason for the C750. Get one while you can.
Alkaline: 3000mAh*1.5V*2=9W
NiMH: 2000mAh*1.2V*2=4.8W
Li-ION: 1100mAh*3.6V=4W

So yeah, the Alkalines kick the crap out of the rechargables, no surprise there, but between the significantly heavier NiMH and the Li-ION, it is pretty close. Also, the Li-ION lets the camera get faster flash charge times, because of the higher max current draw on the battery.

I guess it depends whether weight and flash speed or longer life and ability to throw in some alkalines are more important...
lostlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 6:01 AM   #18

At least these lithium batteries are only around £10 in the UK even less on ebay so its nota great cost issue. and they make the camera lighter.

blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 5:04 PM   #19

Lostlogic, your maths is a bit out. There's 4 cells in a 750 and mine spend most of their life above 1.3v,call it 1.25v, and are rated at 2100mAH. Some are 2300mAH, but call it 2100mAH.

NiMH 2.1x1.25x4 = 10.5watts
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 5:23 PM   #20

Something is definately fishy...I get far more shots on one charge of NiMHs, than a set of Alkalines!!!

Also, shouldn't it be x4 rather than x2 for alkalines and NiMHs, there are 4 AA batteries in the C-7x0.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote