Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:14 PM   #1

Default Will there be a sucessor to the SP-820UZ?

Hi. I'm looking to buy a new p&s with a decent zoom and the 820UZ i find is the best as far as focus speed and low light even if it's only 14Mp the image details are no where near as interpolated as with Canon or Nikon. Video recording is one important option in my decision.

I am curious as to if there is a proposed successor to the Olympus sp-820UZ coming out soon?

Thank You.

Last edited by chippedoff; Jul 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM.
chippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:21 PM   #2

G'day mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippedoff View Post
Hi. I'm looking to buy a new p&s with a decent zoom and the 820UZ i find is the best as far as focus speed and low light even if it's only 14Mp the image details are no where near as interpolated as with Canon or Nikon. Video recording is one important option in my decision.

I am curious as to if there is a proposed successor to the Olympus sp-820UZ coming out soon? Thank You.
I'm presuming that you've got one of these cameras ...
If that's so, why update what seems to be [and from reading your text] a camera that suits you so well??

And -
what's inadequate about 14mpx? [you say "even if it's only 14Mp"]
what's the 'problem' with a 40x zoom lens - if it delivers the sort of image that you like / want?

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:58 PM   #3

Hello. You presume incorrectly, i have tested out the 820uz and i have used the 720 and 810 models as well. There is nothing wrong with 14mp, my Nikon dslr is a 12Mp and it takes better photos than a 20Mp. My inquiry was clearly to ask if i should wait for the next model up form the 820UZ just is case that it has improved or quick focus & or night time abilities.

With my luck and it never fails that a week after i buy something it goes on sale or a better one comes out. It is quite irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day mate

I'm presuming that you've got one of these cameras ...
If that's so, why update what seems to be [and from reading your text] a camera that suits you so well??

And -
what's inadequate about 14mpx? [you say "even if it's only 14Mp"]
what's the 'problem' with a 40x zoom lens - if it delivers the sort of image that you like / want?

Phil
chippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4

Smart phones are eating heavily into the sales of P&S cameras, and the profit margin has apparently been dropping recently. It seems more likely that the pace of new model introduction in the P&S series will slow drastically. Expect a shrinkage of the P&S model availability, especially of the cheapest models.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote