Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:31 AM   #1

Default Well, I was going to buy a C-5060, but no AA batteries. :(

I really liked what I was seeing and the price point was great. I had decided to get it and then noticed that Olympus abandoned the AA batteries in the C-5050 in favour of another proprietary Lithium setup like Nikon did to me in the Coolpix 990.

I use my camera in spurts and it can sit for weeks without being touched. I like to store regular AA batteries in it so that the camera is always ready to take a picture when something suddenly happens that you want to photograph. You cannot do that with Lithiums, the charge drains in a few weeks and it is highly annoying to constantly keep a set charged.

Frustrating! I'd rather have an extra inch added to the camera for extra AAs than get stuck with Lithium only.
CloseUpReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:19 PM   #2

MiMH batteries lose power just sitting but I donít think lithium batteries do. At least not to any appreciable degree. You can leave a 5060 with a fully charged battery for a month and still have more power than a set of alkalines. That is if there is no power drain in the camera. Most donít drain the battery at all with the camera off.

They have improved both the electronics in the cameras so they draw less current and have improved the batteries. I donít think you would find the battery as much hassle as you think. Maybe someone could link you to an inexpensive aftermarket battery so you could keep a charged one. All aftermarket batteries arenít good so I would get one that someone has already tested for a while.

My irritation level is a little lower than yours for taking the battery out of the camera and just leaving it in the charger beside the camera until I need it. And I couldnít live with the limitations of keeping alkaline batteries in the camera. When I go out to shoot I donít want to have to carry a pocket full of alkaline batteries to fill my card. Nor do I want to pay for them every time I shoot.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:55 PM   #3

I was also disappointed when i first noted the L-Ion battery in the 5060. I'd owned both the 2040 and 3040 and had about 4 sets built up of NiMh's.
Once I got the 5060 though I've been extrememly impressed with the performance of the battery. Soon there will be other brands at lower cost than Oly's. Actually the current 3040/4040 add-on offerings from Digipower will work on the 5060. I've doent it with no ill effects.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:43 PM   #4

I don't use alkalines when taking the camera out for awhile, I use powerful NiMH rechargeables. I just store the camera with alkalines in it when I'm not going to use it for awhile so that it is ready to go instantly.

My Coolpix 990 with the LithiumIon proprietary battery would lose the majority of its charge in a month. I could sometimes get a picture or two, but that was it and sometimes not even that.

I do not want to leave a battery in a charger plugged into the wall all the time. To me that is a huge annoyance.

Also, I travel a lot. Having to take proprietary batteries and proprietary charges for each device is a pain. The more devices I can run off my AA batteries and AA charger, the better. Saves weight, space, and plugins at the hotel.

I saw a camera before, can't remember which, that made their proprietary Lithium battery the same shape as three or four AAs and the camera would accept either. This would be a huge plus to any camera in my opinion.
CloseUpReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:45 PM   #5

But Olympus would make less money if this occurred! Yep, I also believe battery selection is important. I like to be able to make choices; not have a corporation dictate to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseUpReady

I saw a camera before, can't remember which, that made their proprietary Lithium battery the same shape as three or four AAs and the camera would accept either. This would be a huge plus to any camera in my opinion.
Jerry Backof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:09 PM   #6

It is my experience that NiMH batteries suffer from this much more than L-Ion batteries. Besides, you will get much more life from L-Ion than NiMH. I've got two sets of RCR-V3's for my C4000Z and love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseUpReady
I don't use alkalines when taking the camera out for awhile, I use powerful NiMH rechargeables. I just store the camera with alkalines in it when I'm not going to use it for awhile so that it is ready to go instantly.

My Coolpix 990 with the LithiumIon proprietary battery would lose the majority of its charge in a month. I could sometimes get a picture or two, but that was it and sometimes not even that.

I do not want to leave a battery in a charger plugged into the wall all the time. To me that is a huge annoyance.

Also, I travel a lot. Having to take proprietary batteries and proprietary charges for each device is a pain. The more devices I can run off my AA batteries and AA charger, the better. Saves weight, space, and plugins at the hotel.

mtfbwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:46 AM   #7

Hi there:

Just another opinion. My previous camera used 4 AA's and man I just hated carrying around all those batteries. Open the battery compartment tilt the camera and watch the fun! Then loading them all back in making sure to get the polarity correct. Hate it! The new c-5060 IS proprietary to be sure but it is only 1 battery. The battery will only fit one way. Thank-you Olympus.

If I can afford a $700. camera I think I can manage to buy a second battery and keep it charged. I have a car inverter so the ac charger works mobile as well. I'm a happy camper. :lol:

Regards,
Greg T
longwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:27 AM   #8

I have 3 cameras with proprietary batteries and one with AAs. The one with AAs is far and away the most hassle. I have to keep track of batteries by sets (they are marked) and by what hasnít been charged recently. I have to regularly charge them so they are all fresh when I need them.

Lithium batteries if left out of the camera do not discharge. They might age a little after a year but they still have most of their charge. I got a deal with my cellphones where I get a new battery each year. For grins I just tried the original 4-year-old lithium that hasnít been in the charger for over a year but was stored charged Ė the battery shows full on the phone. My experience has been the same with cameras. I havenít had my little S4 long enough to know for sure, but the others donít seem to discharge the batteries with the camera off. I know some do, but that is a camera problem and not the nature of the batteries. If a camera leaks battery you certainly donít want to store alkaline batteries in it either. And if you have to leave something outside the camera for instant use it might as well have more capacity than alkalines and not have to be recharged regularly like NiMH.

People who want to put alkaline batteries in their cameras are a minority. To revert back to the weight and hassle of NiMH or misdesign the proprietary battery slot to accommodate them isnít in the cards for high-end cameras. They will still be available for entry level cameras where they want to include some cheap alkalines and send you on your way to discover you have to buy a charger and batteries. But the trend is to the more size, shape and power efficient lithium batteries for quality cameras.

If the 5060 leaks charge from the proprietary battery it would have leaked from alkalines as well. And it is easier to sit one charged proprietary battery beside the camera than 4 alkalines if that is necessary because of internal leakage.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:32 AM   #9

your all talking about the lithium batteries leaking when you leave them for a long time.....buuut....there is a cover for it......that is made of plastic that doesn't drain....if you read your manual (well ifyou have a camera with that type of battery) it will tell you to take out the battery if your not using it for a while....so take it out put on the plastic cover...store the battery RIGHT next to it.....then when you are ready to shoot take the cover off stuff it in! and your ready to go!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:29 PM   #10

But you'll lose all of your settings! This is probably why the original poster stores the camera w/ normal alkalines.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote