Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:36 PM   #1

Default Is Olympus D40Z a good 1st digital buy?

I'm ready to purchase my first digital and considering the OLY D40Z. I am concerned about some critques such as having to print your own manual which some say is poorly written. Also I hear that customer service is terrible and expensive. Some complain that the menu is confusing. I'd appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:37 AM   #2

JR,
1st address support, most support requests are covered in user manuel, just s the questions ask here.

2nd service, cameras I know sent for warrenty 2nd day air normally about 8-9 days total

3rd manuel, the quick manuel tends to be more than the average user reads. The full manuel can over whelm a new user, overwhelming tasks tend not to get done. After quick mastered the manuel on disk becomes frienddly.

I read negitive reviews on products I have used at c/net. about 80% are problems from not reading the @%$# book.

Olympus has always treated us (50) right in this little town.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 8:11 AM   #3

Default D-40 'good buy' question

I own the D-40. Everything Gary has said above is correct. I love my D-40. It does just about 'all of it'. Sometimes reading too many reviews will make a person nuts! Buy the D-40 and enjoy it. Good luck!

(Hi, 'Sam'!)

Regards,

Willa
www.pbase.com/willa
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 1:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Sometimes reading too many reviews will make a person nuts!
Oh!!! That's what I'm suffering from. I must say I've read the reviews as well on the D-40Z (actually I've read every digicam review on all the major sites), and it's a cool camera, some people like it, some don't. What I've learned from the reviews - try it yourself, and then be the judge. The reason I eliminated it was lack of lens adapters because I want to use polarizers in some of my pictures. I mean it makes no sense living in a Tropical island and taking beach pictures without one.

Before you buy make sure you can live with what you're essentially giving up for this camera - External accessories and add-on lenses & filters. Most people who buy this camera CAN live without it. I mean, what's the sens ein having a pocket size camera and lugging around its accessories in a knapsack.

Best of luck with your purchase. As always with Olympus... you can't go wrong.

Kue

Okay, back to being nuts! 9 days until I get the C-2100UZ in my hands... 9 more days of torment
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:07 AM   #5

Default Exactly, Kue.

The D-40 is a 'take everywhere', excellent little camera. I mean, you can practically fit the thing in your shirt pocket, but I wouldn't recommend doing THAT (it might fall out if you bend over or something). For beach shots though, I personally would want something with a little more zoom. Just try not to get 'fried' from reading too much of everything. Of course the reviews are WONDERFUL. But then, a person starts reading comparison reports, including comparison photos (which I don't put much merit on, all things considered), and that's when everything starts to blur together and make ME crazy. Still again, I won't give up my D-40. Good luck.

Willa
www.pbase.com/willa
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2002, 5:29 PM   #6

Default Is Olympus D40Z a good 1st digital buy?

I've had my D-40 for 8 months and it has worked flawlessly. Battery life is very good and picture qualilty is very good.

Regards
ksmusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 11:31 AM   #7

I'm in england and had the C40 (much the same I think) since last November and it goes everywhere with me. I haven't (touch wood) had a problem with it. It's my 1st digital camera as well. Just make sure you've got the NiMH rechargeables.

Andy
digitigger is offline   Reply With Quote