Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:34 AM   #1

Default 3rd party add on Lens

I have a c3020z and need more zoom for kids sporting events. Are any of these third party lens wortha crap? I see opeka,kenko and digital optics, They range from $40 to $100 and stronger up to 3x than the OEM ones. I'm trying hard not to buy another camera. This one takes good pictures.
tjacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:30 PM   #2

I would recommend Raynox 1850. www.raynox.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 4:38 PM   #3

Default Be careful!!!

Some of those lenses aren't worth $1. I use an Olympus Tcon 1.7 with my c750 with excellent results (then again it was MADE FOR THE CAMERA). I'm not 100% sure but if I were you I'd look at the (older) Olympus Tcon 1.45 ( I believe it's 1.45) and see if that meshes with your camera (Olympus specs). It may cost a little more than the others you listed, but the quality will be much better. The next best would be, as Phil said.... the Raynox 1.85, with a little more magnification than the Olympus it may be a good choice. Just be carefull with any lenses touting qualities better than or equal to Olympus (on Olympus cams). Olympus made the camera, they know how to make a teleconverter work with it too!
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 4:45 PM   #4

I'd avoid Opteka like the plauge. I got taken by a company selling one of thier wide angle lenses on ebay for $65. I though this was too good to be true, so I called up the company and asked about the quality. The salesman ensured me that is was an excellent lens that would take high quality, sharp photos. When I got the lens, it arrived scratched. I tested it anyway, and let's just say that the pics it took were anything but sharp. I called up the company again and told them my problems, but they refused to help saying I had to contact Opteka directly. I did, and was told to send the lens to an address in pennslyvania. Six months later and I still haven't heard a word back from them.

Sorry for rambling on so, but I don't want anyone else to go through the same thing as I did.
awikenheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:58 PM   #5

I looked at Raynox and they have a 1.54x lens. Olympus has a 1.7 lens. For my C-5060 which is a better lens? i shoot airshows buth full scale and radio control. Which is the better lens?

Thanks!
AeroClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:40 PM   #6

Many people like the Oly lenses. Most of the others, especially those with stronger magnification, often create CA with purple hanging out of highlights. I would still like to have a 3x lens for technical use -- even though the CA will be bad and the photos will not be pretty.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:45 PM   #7

Thanks. I wish there was a 3x lens as well! i think I will go with the Oly lens. At least it should work since it was made by the same folks who did the camera!
AeroClassics is offline   Reply With Quote