Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 20, 2002, 1:36 PM   #1

Default Smart Media

I read in a magazine today that Smart Media will be phased out in a couple of years - I don't suppose that's a big surprise to those of you with your fingers on the pulse.

What did worry me was I think he was suggesting they will also soon become difficult if not impossible to get hold of.

Surely this cannot be right, what about all us Oly owners with cams good for many more years. Are all SM cameras about to become lemons.

What do you guys think???
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2002, 2:35 PM   #2

72 pin memory still available for computers, have not built a computrer thet uses that since the 1900's. SM will get cheap when they go to reduce inventory, after that it will go up. but still a couple of years b4 need to worry.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 1:13 PM   #3

Default smart media going away

I am in the industry and have heard the same (rumor) - yes - SM's drawback (its lack of protection for the delicate IC die inside) is really the deathnail in the coffin. I have several 128 MB SMDCs now and will probably pick up a few more as they go on sale here and there knowing this future.

The good news is that my two oly cams (the 2500 and E20N) both take CF and SM, so as SM declines, CF adapters to the newest media standards (even FASTER than SM) will come out, allowing me to dump images to chip quicker than I do now.

It's starting to look like the SD format will win down the road someday. I want to see a SD-CF adapter first -- then i'll cast my vote. Meanwhile the speed advantage of writing to SMDC versus CF is substantial (esp. with 15MB tiff files!) - so I will miss it when its gone.

Don't expect this to happen anytime soon (2-3 years) - there's alot of SMDC cams and MP3 players out there going strong - and people keep breaking their SM cards so theres still a demand!

Everett
hmmwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 1:34 PM   #4

With the 128mb limitation and the larger megapixel cameras, the smart media card will not be needed for the new camera. The supply will be there. As Gary stated, the 72 pin simms is still available but hard to find. I predict that the 128mb cards will drop to under $40 after the first of the year. I will purchase at least two more. I have the C3000 and C4040 which can use these cards. The new C5050 uses the smart media, xd card, compact flash and the IBM microdrive. I hope to replace the C3000 next year with the C5050.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:59 PM   #5

Links people have posted in the DPReview Oly section have led to sites selling 256meg and 512meg SM cards...they aren't dead yet.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:05 PM   #6

Since I've never heard anybody say they've worn a SM card out, and it's only used as local storage and not 'consumed', it seems the smart move is to buy the bigger ones as the price falls. BUT buy your new cam with emerging media options. Now, if AA batts were being phased out - I'd worry!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 1:26 AM   #7

Not wear out as such, but they can and do die!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:36 PM   #8

I just joined this forum. I have an OlY C700UZ. A mention was made of 256mg Smart Media Cards. I am under the impression that they only go up to 128Mg. Are 256 mg available somewhere?
bobby751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Links people have posted in the DPReview Oly section have led to sites selling 256meg and 512meg SM cards...they aren't dead yet.
There is no such thing as 256 and 512MB SM cards. The highest capacity for SM is only 128MB!
Redstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:07 AM   #10

Smartmedia is fast...this is true.

I never had a problem with any of mine...in both my (former) Oly 2100uz and (current) E20.

The main thing is capacity, of course.

Ideally, in the BEST of all worlds...four things would happen:

1. All digital cameras would come with internal 9-1 media adaptors.

2. All digital cameras could use 4 AA batteries.

3. All digital cameras would follow E10/20 route of a quick release
four pack of AAs.

4. AA Lithium, rechargable batteries will be commonly available.

Two...err four...cents!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote