Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:08 PM   #1

Default How To Take Great Photos With C750UZ

Hi Everybody

I'm looking for some help on ways to take the best possible pictures with this camera.

I've mainly used auto mode. I don't know much about adjusting a camera's settings; I've been mostly a point and shoot picture-taker. I never used a manual camera and the C750 seems to have many manual controls. I am unfamiliar with what they do and how they could improve my pictures.

I'm satisfied with picture quality. At high zoom I think a tripod would help out a lot, i get a little shaky and have had some blurry results (maybe manual controls compensate for this better?). I am going to try the camera more in outdoor settings tomorrow. This camera seems to produce very vibrant shots in good lighting situations.

Was it necessary to have that electronic view finder because of the camera's 10x zoom? Not sure how much I like taking pictures that way, I liked the "old" way a lot. What are the pros/cons? I hear you're almost blind in real low light situations.

I have been taking them in SHQ, is that recommended? (average picture size is about 2.5MB; resolution 2288x1712; jpg)

Any advice would help, i'm going to peru in about 3 weeks and want to feel a little more comfortable about what my camera can do.

I'm bringing (2) 512MBs,128MB,16MB XD-cards.

F.Y.I. newegg.com now has a special: Buy a 512MB XD-card and get a 128MB free (olympus brand).

Thanks for any help,
Tone
TonyModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:18 AM   #2

On a 10X camera the electronic view finder (EVF) has definite advantages over an unmagnified optical viewfinder -- but it also has disadvantages.

Some people swear by SHQ and some stick with HQ. I suspect you might want SHQ only for certain types of scenes.

Join here and read the files;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-C730-c740-c750/
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:14 PM   #3

SHQ preferable for landscapes with lots of blue sky and/or water - the artifacts associated with more aggressive compression settings like HQ are more noticeable. Else, HQ is fine.

My advice is to read your manual and practice as much as possible before leaving for Peru - and keep practicing while you're there. At minimum, you should master use of AEL (exposure lock); learn to navigate the menu system and quickly change things like ISO, SHQ/HQ, flash setting and intensity, etc.

In AUTO the camera will make most of the decisions, including ISO. That alone is reason enough to use P(rogram) mode - here, the camera will still select aperture and shutter speed, but allow you to "tweak" or compensate exposure in 1/3 increments if you so desire. More importantly, it will allow you to select ISO. Noise levels are unacceptable at higher ISOs (for all consumer digicams, not only the C750). I use ISO 50 exclusively for daylight pics. ISO 100 is fine for lower light, e.g. indoors, dawn and dusk, etc. ISO 200 in a pinch if you don't have a tripod and require a long exposure. 400 is nothing more than a curiosity to me.

Will definitely want a table-tripod - I never have problems w/ camera shake in broad daylight, even at full tele, but your night shots will suffer w/o one.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:32 PM   #4

What to learn... hmmm...

P-mode usage
how to select ISO
how to select WB
how to select spot metering and lock the exposure
how to select macro and super-macro mode
how to select multiple shot mode
how to tell if the auto-focus failed
how to switch into and out of manual focus mode
how to review photos on the camera and delete individual photos
Aperture-priority mode usage
Manual mode usage and enabling the meter
how to take a flash photo
taking a flash photo using a white tissue as a diffuser
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:12 PM   #5

thanks so much for your input, i am going to take a few outdoors shots now by NYC.

It appears that newegg made a mistake last night. They had an offer up for a 128MB XD-card free if you purchased a 512MB XD-card (olympus brand). I placed the order, it was a mistake by them, and I was charged for both cards. However they said they will still honor the offer, and will credit me for the 128MB

So it appears I got a $79 memory card for free, wow today is my lucky day!

Will post again tonight thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 7:01 PM   #6

WoW!

This camera takes exceptional pictures outdoors with good lighting. And the 10x zoom is outstanding. I could clearly see all the way across the george washington bridge. Using zoom in software, i could just about make your face out if you were sitting on the other side of the hudson river. Thats impressive!

jkusmier thanks for input, in low light i can see how much a tripod would help. Outdoors, during day time, at full zoom i had crystal clear shots (still using auto mode :twisted. What is AEL for?

So i am starting to love this camera, i gotta try the P mode now.

Pooperdog thanks for telling me what to learn!! I need to study more about why and when i would want to change all these manual settings
Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:33 AM   #7

Is it normal for the camera to go back to HQ once camera is turned off? because i usually leave all modes with SHQ and half of them or maybe more change back to HQ.
magyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:06 AM   #8

Something else you need to learn; you must change two settings in the camera;

1. SETUP>FILENAME>AUTO

Give each picture a unique name.

2. SETUP>ALL RESET>OFF

Remembers last camera settings while camera is turned off.

You must always keep batteries in the camera or it will forget settings.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:11 AM   #9

Re: C750. Also you should buy a protective lens ube and UV filter -- especially if you will be in a dusty environment. See;

http://www.2filter.com/prices/packages.html
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:17 PM   #10

What does the filename setup do when it's set to Auto? Than how would I give a pitcher a unique name
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote