Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:14 AM   #1

Default Quick appology about c750......

I recently bashed the c750 pretty hard, this was my mistake. Apparently my cam had a defective ccd, witch OLY fixed for free. Upon further review... this cam is AWESOME!!!!!!! I am used to SLRs and a few cheap digi's, but the c750 rocked my world. Once you learn how to shoot with this cam (it's not as easy as it sounds) super results with every shot are possible!! This even goes for low light shooting. I have heard so many negatives about the c750 in low light situations, I was one of them. HOWEVER I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND, LEARN HOW TO USE THIS CAM AND IT WILL PRODUCE!!. By the way; the printed pic always looks 100x better than on your monitor ( From what I have heard the average computer monitor can only display about 3.2mp (??).
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2

Yes, I agree there is a learning curve. You have to learn some real photography and you have to learn how to use the manual focus.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 4:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooperdog
and you have to learn how to use the manual focus.
.......on which I wish they would give the option to have the "exploded middle" effect on or off, and not "throw it at me" when I try to focus....<G>
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:51 PM   #4

Oh yeah, the magnified screen center during focussing just doesn't work well. I don't know why, but it simply doesn't. It always looks blocky like they screwed up the software. You don't get a blocky picture when you use digital zoom so why does the zoom-assist display do that???
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Oh yeah, the magnified screen center during focussing just doesn't work well. I don't know why, but it simply doesn't. It always looks blocky like they screwed up the software. You don't get a blocky picture when you use digital zoom so why does the zoom-assist display do that???
I get the impression that it zooms a lot more than the digital zoom (??) Also, digital zoom also ups the pixel count, just as if you had cropped a picture in software then increased the pixel count to make it look better. You don't get better resolution, but you get rid of the pixelation.

I also hate the way it disappears just when I want to simply look at it for a couple of secs to see if it's sharp. In the end I found the only way was to keep "stabbing" the focus button, just often enough to keep it "open" and just little enough to stop it flying the focus way out. I would prefer it simply stayed there in manual zoom, or maybe let me switch it on and off.

PITA. Shrug. Wonder if _this_ could be fixed in firmware (even if the latest fware _does_ stop compatibility with certain PC functions on the PC! If these guys are not happy, they will have a lot of unhappy campers about one of the most versatiel cameras on the market)
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:32 AM   #6

I created a big long gripe list for the C750, but you just have to accept the limitations -- or else go buy an FZ10, which probably also has things that would bug you.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympu...40-c750/files/
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
I created a big long gripe list for the C750, but you just have to accept the limitations -- or else go buy an FZ10, which probably also has things that would bug you.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympu...40-c750/files/
Hah! Already read one post by one guy who could not get beyond 2X zoom all of a sudden.

I mena nothing by that. As you say, each will have its burden.

However, _publish_ that list. Popular opinion has had small victories on the past....they even try to breed us sheep for finer wool <G>

So you show me yours....we can see if we can get a mass display! <G>
Old Mar 6, 2004, 8:19 AM   #8

I sent the link to the gripe list to OlympusAmerica. I'm sure they will only yawn.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
I sent the link to the gripe list to OlympusAmerica. I'm sure they will only yawn.
I gather you are taling of the yahoo system. they asked me so many ruddy questions and demanded that I have a profession and a position (orchardist, grower) then would not let me sign in as Old Nick et c etc etc etc I gave up.

So I cannot read the list.

Oly will probably yawn. Their cameras are seelling well in a hungry market that will accept mediocrity because of the sudden release of "free" photos.

In the end I hope they swallow a fly, and start to listen
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:54 PM   #10

Oh, sorry, let me post a copy here;

http://home.att.net/~galt_57/gripes.txt