Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1

Default C-750 and battery charger (long message!)

Hi everyone!

my C-750 came with the standard Olympus BU-300 battery charger and 4 olympus 1.2v-1700 mAh batteries. The charging time for the batteries is around 9 1/2 hours..(charger's output 1.2v-240 mAh).

The included batteries served me fine for the first weeks but due to frequent camera use i ve got another pack of 4 hahnel 1.25v-2350 mAh, for extra power. I ve started charging the new batteries on the olympus charger but i dont know if i was supposed to do that or if my new batteries are getting charged properly. When i recharge the Olympus batteries the charger cuts off the power and the charge light goes off after 9-10 hours, meaning that the batteries are fully charged.

However, when i recharge the hahnel batteries which have 40% more capacity the charger still switches off after 9-10 hours....with 240mah output it would need 14 hours to recharge them normally..meaning that they are not fully recharged?? what i then do is unplug the charger from the mains and replug it and the charging light switces on and i continue to charge for an extra 4 hours (9-1o hours + 4= 14).

What i dont understand is that if the charger shuts down when it recognises the 1700mah(9 hours of charging) why when i unplug and replug it continues to show that it charges??and do the hahnel 2350 batteries get fully charged or i am doing something wrong and i ll burn both batteries ans charger???
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:15 PM   #2

Default Battery Chargers

I don't think the Olympus charger is a "Smart Charger". It charges on a time basis rather than a cut off when the batteries are charged.
I used several of these (Including the Oly model) but solved all my battery problems by buying a Maha # MH-C401FS. The 401 is a "smartcharger" that has separate charging circuits for each battery. Each battery will be cut off and put on a "trickle" charge as they become fully charged. You can charge one through four batteries at a time. It has a fast charge mode, about two hours and a slower charge mode. (Better for battery life)
I also purchased an extra set of the 2200 MHa Powerex Batteries. A set of four comes with the charger.
I purchased them on-line from Thomas Distributing Company and found them very reliable to do business with!
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-4aa220.htm
I'm bothering to pass this along because I have five digital cameras and the battery charging and dead battery problems were completley solved with this purchase!
Bob Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:43 PM   #3

It's a dumb, timed charger - which means you not only that you cannot assume that the batteries are fully charged simply b/c the charger times out, but also must be wary of overcharging. The Mahas definitely buy peace of mind, but the BU-300 should be fine as long as you follow simple rules: let your batteries go camera dead before re-charging - 1 full, 9 hour cycle should be sufficient to recharge. When topping off before an extended trip, take care to monitor the temp of the batteries - they may only need a partial cycle, e.g. 3 hours, before they are fuly charged. Remove when their temperature changes from slightly warm to pretty warm (monitor them and you'll know what I mean).

The 2350mAh batts may require 3 full cycles to charge initially, and the better part of 2 cytcles thereafter. Might want to get a Maha.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:31 PM   #4

thanks for the quick responses!

i didnt know that timed chargers existed, does this mean that the charger will switch itself off after a specific amount of time? e.g 9 1/2 hours in this case?

when you mean topping up, you mean recharging already recharged batteries that have been stored for sometime (and llost power)?

About the 2350 mAh ones, do you mean they need 3 consecutive chargings when bought and before used for first time?

for how long do you thing i should recharge them with the Olympus BU-300 charger in order to fully recharge?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:34 PM   #5

Most chargers on the market are "timed" chargers. The "smart Chargers" usually have indivdual, monitored circuits to each battery. I have noticed that some batteries in a set will charge faster or slower. They should all take about the same time. (Say within a hour or less) If one is way off from the others, it's likely defective.
All new NiMH batteries have to be cycled a few times before they will charge to full capacity. Just use them in your camera for a while and after a few charge cycles, you will find that they will progressivley last longer.
NiMH batteries drain power when setting idle. So that's why, if they have been setting since being charged, it's a good idea to put them in the charger to top them up. Again, A smart Charger will top them up and shut down before over charging them.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:27 PM   #6

I'm not sure if there is really much of an overcharging risk with a slow charger like the BU-300. The batteries get warm but never hot.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:22 PM   #7

On the other hand, I have had a couple of sets of batteries last for at least 3 years. So, unless you need fast charging, you'll do fine with the Olympus charger. The cost of that other charger buys a lot of batteries.

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:29 PM   #8

The Maha 401 costs $38.97 , With 8 Powerex batteries it's $61.97 from Thomas Dist. That also includes a 12V plug that you can use to charge batteries while driving. Great for rental cars when you are on a trip!
I see they have a special now that also includes a free battery tester!
I have had around four or five other chargers and mismash of batteries, but like I said, no more problems since I switched to the Maha and the powerex! You can use it in fast mode if you are in a hurry, or slow if you have the time! They also throw in some of best battery cases I have ever used! :lol:
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:54 AM   #9

i ve heard only good things about the maha 401, so i think i ll consider buying it!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 1:31 PM   #10

The Bu-300 isn't a true trickle charger, so yes, it is possible to overcharge your batts with the BU-300.

A Maha 204F w/ 8 2200MaH AA's is $48. There are alot of dumb, fast chargers out there for $15-20. And sets of 2200MaH batts will cost $9-10. Sounds competitive to me. Finally, what's the point in buying more batteries if their capacity and lives are shortened prematurely due to a poor charger?
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote