Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 24, 2002, 6:10 PM   #1

Default What Microphone Works with C-2100 ?

What type of external microphone works well with C-2100? I've tried computer condenser & casset dynamic & even a crystal mic (56K ohm for tape recorder), but none of those works. The best effect was obtained with an old Shure (my old rock band mic) which I believe is crystal, but there really needs to be more gain.

OLY doesn't provide any spec for the external mic input (eg, input impedance & voltage).
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2002, 6:48 PM   #2

mic me-13d

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/compatchart.asp
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 9:07 PM   #3

Looking at the ME-13D, it looks like an electret mic, there's a little black oval item in between the mic and the plug that looks like it holds a watch battery (in the website https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...asp?sku=200727 you can see it right at the back end of the tie clip)...I have a similar one from RadioShack/Tandy.

Actually, that's the type of microphone I was going to suggest before Gary made his suggestion.

But to be sure, maybe you should go for the Olympus one...don't want to risk damage to the camera.

If you do try the RadioShack/Tandy one, I'm not responsible for any damages!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2002, 10:53 PM   #4

...and if you do try the generic one, please tell us how that worked out for you. Some of us will be itching to do the same...
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 3:16 PM   #5

AIWA Mic is from their stereo cassette recorder model HS-J470
It is a small 1.25x0.5"x0.5 clip-on.
Sound is thin, but great with playback mixer bass set to max & treble set to min. Gain (input signal) is maximum that OLY can handle (ie, any more would overdrive input & distort).
In terms of inexpensive substitues, I still am not sure. The AIWA user manual does not address its mic input circuit. The AIWA mic dc resistance measures 1K ohm. It doesn't work with a computer sound card (and computer mic doesn't work with the OLY). Computer mics are condenser. Based on tests conducted (looking at all the evidence), try a 600-1000 ohm dynamic mic. Also, one would think that a battery powered electret would have the necessary gain, but then it is tough to find something suitable much under $30.

ref: ME-13D forsale at Amazon $19.95, see

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...photo&n=507846
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote