Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:03 AM   #1

Default C5060WZ-- Photo looks darker after download

hi fellow C5060 users,

has anyone noticed the difference in the photos (esp the brightness) when view from the camera LCD and after download?

when view from the camera LCD, they are very nice, attractive with accurate color. but when being downloaded into computer, everything turn darker, which were quite different from the LCD.

anything wrong with the camera? or any setting can help to overcome this?

thx.
ys.
ysone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:07 AM   #2

may be turn a bit lower the lightness of your camera's lcd?
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:10 AM   #3

The C5060 isn't alone; I've noticed the same effect on other cameras, and I am assuming it is merely the difference in lumince between LCD and computer screen. The only way I know to change things is to either modify your exposure so that the photos appear as you want them to on the computer (tho they'll be too light, etc. on the LCD), or use a photo editing program to modify the photos in computer.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:24 PM   #4

Hi ysone,
I'd bet your not alone with that. I've noticed the same thing on my C-4000. Pictures that I was very pleased with when reviewing them on the LCD were somewhat disappointing on my monitor at home. I did as pavaros suggested and turned down the brightness on my lcd some so it better represented what I'd see at home.
Davcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:24 PM   #5

Calibrate your monitor. Some details in the dark photo's I took couldn't be seen because my monitor was set to dark.
This could help.

Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:13 PM   #6

I've noticed the same thing in my indoor photo's mostly! I have a UV screen on my monitor and taking it off helped, but the best thing that seems to work for me, is to shoot indoors at + 0.3 EV, or increase the flash intensity about the same, if the flash is needed. My last choice, is using PhotoShop to adjust the brightness.

Cheers,

Pepe.
Pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 2:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodstrike
Calibrate your monitor. Some details in the dark photo's I took couldn't be seen because my monitor was set to dark. This could help.
The simplest adjustment to try first is as suggested with several similar test cards to the one you posted...

1. Adjust monitor contrast to maximum.
2. Adjust monitor brightness to show as many steps as possible on the target.

Note that the brightness setting will depend on ambient lighting conditions. I find Contrast 100, Brightness 40 works well on my Taxan monitor.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavaros
may be turn a bit lower the lightness of your camera's lcd?
thx pavaros, i tuned lower the LCD brightness so tht i can now get better correlation between the camera LCD and the monitor. and it works pretty well ...

rgds.
ysone.
ysone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:06 AM   #9

Yes, definately calibrate your monitor like the guy below says. If your monitor is too old or not set right, why bother with digital in the first place? Granted, the LCD should be adjusted for your shooting environment, but the monitor should be set for viewing and closely matching what you intend to print. Opinions are cheap.....
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:46 PM   #10
cob

cob is offline   Reply With Quote