Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:11 AM   #11

Exellent camera........thats all there is to it.There may be a couple flaws but I challenge anyone to show me the perfect camera.

WAYNEBRUNET.FOTOPIC.NET
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:40 AM   #12

Thanks for providing the Text Document Dave, very usefull stuff there!

I must admit that I am not a read the manual type so you had a couple of things in there that I didn't know about - like holding "OK" when the Shutter is half-depressed. I'm a more try things and see type!

I have been using the c750 for abouta year now and have noticed some small problems with the auto-focus in low-light or at full telephoto. I have found two simple and pretty reliable ways of getting around the problem. First thing to try is to focus on an object at the same distance from your subject then recompose the shot. The second one is if the auto-focus doesn't work do it manually! The manual-focus is easy enough to adjust but may be difficult in getting a very sharp focus (the magnification screen the c750 provides is often more hindrance then helpfull), so if in doubtI have always found it bestto take multiple photographs of the same subject.

For action shots in low-light conditions I have got some pretty good results by setting the manual focus to infinity and panned the camera to track the subject while taking the shot. You need to be fairly careful with this as you need to keep the subject in exactly the same part of the frame at all times otherwise you will get blurring of the subject. For not-too-demanding actions shots this can work well, but for real fast paced low-light shots I thinkyou will just have to realise that the camera is only capable of accomplishing so much andit is not adSLR!

Also; If in doubt - Experiment!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:41 AM   #13

Redundo,

I hope you have updated the firmware on your C-750. I did it recently, and the focus performance has been greatly improved. I went from being frustrated with the camera much of the time to being really happy with it.

The upgrade is very easy to do, instructions come with the download.

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:56 PM   #14

Hi Eddie,

No, actually I haven't yet updated the firmware. Do I get the download from the Olympus website?

I'll just go have a look at their site!

Thanks!

I've just been to have a look at the Olympus site and all it offers is a firmware upgrade for PictBridge compatability. Since I don't have a PictBridge compatable printer or any wish or desire to print directly from my camera I don't see any need for this. It says nothing about an upgrade to improve the autofocus of the camera, where/ whendid you find your firmware update?

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:51 PM   #15

It is a cumulative upgrade. Pictbridge is just the last item they added. Since you've had your camera for a year it might actually be worth trying. Be forewarned however that there is a rumor that it may degrade your ability to use the remote control software such as Cam2Com or PineTree.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:16 AM   #16

I have two C750's and upgraded the firmware on one of them. If there were any improvements in low light focusing ability, it was not immediately noticeable compared to the pre-upgraded performance or the unaltered C750.

The odd thing with low light focusing behavior is that when you zoom in or out, the camera seem to be able settle into the correct focus,but as soon as you press the shutter button it refocuses and usually loses the correct focus that it had before. I've never had a problem with focusing when there is adequate lighting, so I'm not sure what if anything has been improved there.

It doesn't hurt to upgrade the firmware, unless you plan to make use of the computer control in the future, but I wouldn't expect any dramatic improvements in the camera's low light focus abilities.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 3:23 AM   #17

I would say KuoH is right. My 750 came with 753-86 firmware and I recognise the focusing behaviour as being the same, where in low light it gets to a focused position after zooming and then loses it after half pressing the shutter. Again, no problems in better light, in fact it's very accurate. I wonder if it's set up too critically and just can't achieve the required accuracy at low light so gives up? I say this because a few other cameras I've owned or tried say they've achieved focus lock, they look OK in the LCD, but when they're downloaded they are sometimes a bit out of focus (not motion blur, it can happen at very fast shutter speeds), but I've never had this happen with the 750, if it says it's achieved lock then it has.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:40 PM   #18

I've found that now the full time autofocus works as it should. If it has focus, then when you half press the shutter button, it does not loose focus and start over. Also, I believe there is a feature that it saves the last focus, so if you take several pictures at similar focus distance, the camera doesn't start from scratch trying to focus-it starts with a close focus. That's why I feel the firmware upgrade is a huge improvement.

If you haven't tried the full time autofocus, do the upgrade, then try it. It greatly improves the delay from shutter press to actually taking the picture.

Ed

eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:38 AM   #19

This behavior is not duplicated on my C750 upgraded to v753e-86-D01 firmware. Full-time AF does find the correct focus in low light but pressing the shutter button, either half or full, results in refocusing.

Perhaps it is a bit faster in daylight, but I've never had a problem with speed or focus when there is enough light.

KuoH

eddie_kirst wrote:
Quote:
I've found that now the full time autofocus works as it should. If it has focus, then when you half press the shutter button, it does not loose focus and start over.
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote