Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 17, 2004, 3:59 AM   #1

Default C750 Acc, how did I do? Plus a few Pro's and Con's

I just bought this item http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29994 I was a bit leary as I am in Canada but it arrived yesterday. Don't know how much I will use the lenses but thought I would buy them just in case. Anyone else buy these similar aftermarket items? and find a need for them? I wish I asked these questions before I bought..oh well.

One kinda complaint I have with this camera is that you cannot use the Optical zoom once you have started making a movie clip..I can use the digital zoom but that just doesn't make too much sense due to degrading picture quality.

Also I wish the movie mode was 30 FPS and a bit larger resolution

Other than that this camera is even better than I had expected.. Now I just have to absorb the 239 page manual!! :-)

Thanks for your time
Don
Dapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:51 AM   #2

Don't expect much from those cheap lenses. They will probably not thrill you. The tripods will come in handy. Yes you perhaps should have sought an opinion before buying this kit. No this is not the best camera for making video clips.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:18 PM   #3

I thank you for your opinion. I am new to this forum and don't know who is who here so for-give me for asking but have you ever tried these lenses and how have you estabished your opinion?

I personnelly have found really nothing on these lenses in google. The only info I could get was feedback on the seller at e-bay from other buyers that had nothing but praise for these lenses. All were quite satisfied with the quality and expecially the price.

Any comment to substantiate your claim would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Don
Old Mar 20, 2004, 1:42 PM   #4

There aren't too many lenses that are considered good. It is mostly the name-brand companies. The rest are trouble. Post this question in the "Add-on Lenses" forum and you will get a broader response.

Basically you can test these lenses yourself. The most common problem is color bleeding -- a prism-like effect which is known as chromatic abberation (CA). Simply take some photos and look for color bleeding. Most of the good lenses are included in the list here;

http://www.pbase.com/image/26137750
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:14 PM   #5

I have a similar pair that I use with my Coolpix 4300. I paid something like $40 USD for each of them and like them. I didn't feel the quality of the pictures was significantly degraded but I'm only an amateur. I mostly used the telephoto lens outdoors for football games and my son's T-ball games.

I did get a little tired of always changing the lenses so I bought a FZ-10 with the 12X zoom. I recently got a TCON-14B but haven't had the chance to use it yet. I could post some examples with the other lenses if you would like.

Indoor photography is not really possible for a lot of these adapters since they often block the built-in flash.

Hope this helps.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 5:58 AM   #6

The 14B is supposed to be an excellent lens. In many cases I agree with you on the issue of the cheap lenses. In many pictures the effect of CA can be ignored because it does not directly impact the subject, however any white or bright objects can make it much more obvious...

http://www.pbase.com/image/25192828
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:17 PM   #7

I think I'm going to be happy with the TCON-14B but it sure is heavy. I'll have to experiment with it a bit but I am looking forward to it.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:10 PM   #8

I went back and checked a few photos with my cheapo lens (Digital Optics 2X) and was pretty surprised to see the quality problems. I never noticed it at 4x6 or on screen viewing

But when I looked at it full-sized in Photoshop, I definitely noticed the quality deteriorate, especially peripherally. I guess CA is the halo or glow around everybody. There is even a difference in sharpness between the QB nd FB in the cropped image.

I guess the bottom line is that for most people with normal 4 x 6 prints, these lenses should be fine. Anything more may be asking for too much. As usual, you get what you pay for...

This makes me really anxious to try my TCON-14B vs. the cheapos as soon as it gets nice out there.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:01 AM   #9

Interesting example. Yeah for those who only print 3x5 or 4x6 I guess the defects of a cheap lens are usually not too apparent. It will be interesting to compare this against your 14B.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:44 PM   #10

Well I asked for proof and you all gave it. Thanks for the explanation.

Don