Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:11 PM   #1
jms

Default 128 meg for C2100UZ

Hi all...

I just was lucky enough to find a remaining C2100UZ (new in box) at the local WalMart. It was clearanced priced at $359. What a deal!
anyway... my question is whether the C2100 will work with a 128 meg SM card. The manual only states up to 64 meg. I assume this is because 128 meg was not available when this camera came out?
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2002, 9:28 PM   #2

Yes, on the 128 meg. I use one in my Uzi.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 10:24 PM   #3

JMS,
It knows all...

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/compatchart.asp

Good shooting,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 10:48 PM   #4
jms

Thanks, Bill and Gary. That's what I'll get next. I found 128 meg SM locally for $49.95.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 10:59 PM   #5

format it in camera and life stays easy.
Gary
Old Aug 29, 2002, 3:45 PM   #6

Amazon has 128MB Smartmedia (Viking Brand) for $49.95 + Free shipping, so you could always get that too.

One question I've got.. since SM is going out the door, is 128MB as high they're gonna make them? At this point should we begin stocking up on 128MB cards over the next year or so?

*2 more days to go
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 2:39 PM   #7

Good question. Is 128MB going to be the limit for my uzi?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 3:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyG
Good question. Is 128MB going to be the limit for my uzi?
I think 128 is going to be the limit for smartmedia, period! There's talk about phasing it out eventually, espeically with Olympus and Fuji (probably others) coming out with the new Xd format...there's talk about the new C-730 having an Xd slot as well as a smartmedia slot.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 3:38 PM   #9

Industry is forcasting a surplus of flash memory(9/02), look for deals later this month. Wondering if the 730 will have a CF slot that would allow use of adapter for xD memory and also allow use of readers already on market?????
Gary

Hans Wu, Taipei; Jane Wang, DigiTimes.com [Thursday 29 August 2002]

With oversupply worsening, global flash memory chip prices are likely to tumble another 10% in September, reported compact flash card makers, citing information from flash suppliers.

Despite a rise in digital camera shipments, flash prices have been on the decline as market demand has still not been able to keep up with the continuous expansion of flash capacity worldwide, compact flash card makers indicated. Now that Toshiba, a leading flash supplier, has completed flash equipment installation at its plant in Japan, supply has shot up further, they said.

Moreover, many DRAM module makers, repelled by unpredictable DRAM module prices and attracted by better gross margins for flash products, have increasingly turned toward manufacturing compact flash cards and related products, said the card makers. As more companies enter the flash arena, the fierce competition for market share has inevitably driven prices down, they note.

[Edited on 9-3-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 2:43 AM   #10

I just got the C-2100uz about three weeks ago and I love it. I don't foresee wanting another camera any time soon, so I think stocking up is a good idea! I've found the service and prices at Memory Suppliers to be excellent. See Memory Suppliers for their selection of SmartMedia cards and accessories.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote