View Poll Results: which camera would you replace my 2020C with
Olympus 4040z 2 28.57%
Olympus 8080 3 42.86%
Olympus 5060 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:51 AM   #11

Default 4040 and g5

what is the G5 like for taking fast...i take a lot of moving kids
and the pwershot 70 had good reiveiws on shutter lag, but it isnt great if the lights and darks are both in the photo (a window in the corner or a light)

also, the 4040 was another one i was considering, just dont see it around much........

thanks to both of you for your opiinions on it, it relaly helps....

i read many many reiview and forums before i bought my 2020 and i have never been sorry (other than that i took it to the beach with SAND!!)
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:47 AM   #12

With my relatively limited experience with your exact situation, I can tell you the C5060 sends out a beam to the object in dark spaces so it can focus. This causes some delay in shot response so it wouldn't necessarily be great for action in low light. I added an external flash which extends the lighted range from about 12 feet max with the camera flash, to 70+ feet with the external. I did some shooting in a museum and wanted no flash due to the glass in front so I used a tripod, pre-focused (which utilized the beam Imentioned) then snapped the picture using the remote, just reach aroudn front, hit the clicker and don;t have to touch the camera. If you'd like I can send you some links to pro reviews which may give you more technical answers.....
Old Mar 26, 2004, 1:19 PM   #13

Default send the link!!

I''d love to have the link to those
thanks !!
Old Mar 26, 2004, 2:50 PM   #15

While the 8080 looks tempting, it hasn't received conclusive reviews that I can find, perhaps at some of the links I provided you can find some. Don't worry about the proprietary battery n the C5060. It lasts a LONG time, at least several hundred shots but just to be safe, I turn off the LCD when I'm not going to be shooting relatively quickly. As an example, one day I went to do some available light shooting at a local museum with my tripod. The battery seemed OK before I left but no sooner did I set up the first shot, I started getting the red low batt indicator. I ccntinued doing as I do, turn off the LCD and used no flash. I took over 120 more shots that day on a low battery. I eventually purchased a spare but it is possible to go a long time without recharge. That LiIon battery is awesome! And any low light problems you read about are relatively easy to overcome with manual exposure overrides. The camera does have a high learning curve but it's worth every dime.....
Old Mar 26, 2004, 4:53 PM   #16

Default thanks

thank you for the input and the links !!!

chris
Old Mar 26, 2004, 5:39 PM   #17

I, also, have been using a c-2020 for a few years and have loved it. Mine is still working fine, but I, too, wanted more resolution in order to be able to make larger prints. With my 2020 I could, for the most part, take pics with the camera set on automatic and expect to get great pics. I find that I am less able to do that with my 5050. There is a sharpness control on the 5050 which needs to be adjusted in certain lighting situations in order not to have too much noise in the pic. I think many owners leave the sharpness set to -3 and the ISO to 64 all the time. I don't find that is necessary as long as one is aware of the situations for which those settings are needed. For most of my shooting, I keep the ISO at 100 and the sharpness at 0. I keep "My Mode" set for ISO 64 and sharpness -5.

I guess what I am trying to tell you in a long-winded sort of way is that you'll have a learning curve to go through with the 5050 or 5060 or 8080 in order to get pics as good as you are used to with your 2020.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:14 AM   #18

Default thanks

what a bummer.......having to switch sharpness, F's and ISO to have the same results as an older camera...

but it is a great help having someone figure it all out, cause i'm not good at any of that....i usually get WORSE photos when i go out of auto!

thank yoU!
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:14 AM   #19

Default thanks

what a bummer.......having to switch sharpness, F's and ISO to have the same results as an older camera...

but it is a great help having someone figure it all out, cause i'm not good at any of that....i usually get WORSE photos when i go out of auto!

thank yoU!
Old Mar 30, 2004, 4:48 PM   #20

Default red eyes

can you beleieve NO RED EYES in NORMAL MODE??

can it be true?