Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

View Poll Results: which camera would you replace my 2020C with
Olympus 4040z 2 28.57%
Olympus 8080 3 42.86%
Olympus 5060 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:56 PM   #21

Default red eyes

int he forum called Olympus C-8080WZ Owner Comments Please ??

DC NEWBIE tried out the normal setting for no red eyes in th e8080 and says ITS TRUE and he is impressed !!!

chris
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:10 AM   #22

Default difference

sounds like the 4040 or 5050 would work more like my 2020, as far as fast shutter and focus in lower light, but i sure like the no red eye thing for the 8080

and then there's the price !
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:05 PM   #23

Default there no such thing, a red eye free camera

Red eye is a funcation of the flash been too close to the lens and the direct light off the flash bouncing off the retian and lens of the subject or subjects eyes that reflect back to the camera sensor for the image. Any onboard flash will cause eye under the right condictions that will look positively demonic, your best defense is post shot photo work with software that come with your camera or any decent digital photo editing program (ie photoshope, photoshope le, etc....). Over spending on a camera because of a promised anti wonder redeye gaget is a waste. The only serious way to prevent red is with indirect lighting (bounce the flash ) seperate synched flash on L bracked or a combo of both. Thats it. My c2020 as stupied "anti eyed preflash " which usually makes the red eye worse and cause alot of peeps to close there eyes before the main flash burst goes, So I dont use it and clean up any really bad red with photoshop le. Although I could use a sperate flash with a bouce hood on a L bracked (c2020 has a synch cord plug) I usually find the extra equipment gets in the way of fun canid shots and partys, family event and on vaction I like lugging around the lightest photo kit possible . So dont just buy the c8080 for it imagary red I cure. By because it suits your needs
bob1xxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:58 AM   #24

Default red eyes

when i used the red eye reduction on my 2020, the red eyes were worse too!

i was really hoping not to have a EXTRA FLASH on top, but maybe i need too

chris
Old Apr 6, 2004, 9:02 AM   #25

Default red eyes

on the red eye subject, i meant if ibuy the 5060, i'd have to get an extrernal flash, sounds like if i buy the 8080, i wouldnt need to, but its 400.00 more

by the end of the week, i have to make a decision and stop looking !
chris
Old Apr 7, 2004, 3:07 AM   #26

Default Re: red eyes yeah but you kind of missed my point

what is nice about the c2020, c4040, c4000, c5050, c5060 and the sexy but god awful expensive c8080. is the fact that they have the flexablity to synch a external flash which is nice. But my larger point was dont go chasing after expensive c8080 unless you need a 8megapixal camera. Personally I think the 6 meg canon rebel the better deal in that price range, if you going for professional shoots or very serious amatur and have the added fexablity of interchangeable lens the canon rebel is a way better deal. If your need to go for a "new camera" Id get the c5060 you'll penty of pixels and you have money left over for memory cards , decent aftermarket sofeware , or a external flash, bounce hood , etc... . Personal for me,a faster lens and more compact format is refocusing my choices between a used c4040 or c5050 on ebay ,if I get the 5050 it because I like it memory system cf more than the extra megapixels.
bob1xxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:13 AM   #27

Default spendy

the only reason i was considering the 8080 is the no red eye reviews, but would like the faster lens also
I also read that it takes 7 seconds to warm up the flash on the 8080 and i'm thinking, my shot would be too late by then

If i could borrow the cameras for ONE week each, i'd have no problem making a decision

this has been a realloy really hard decision for me....

the canon is a couple hundered dollars higher otherwise, i'd think about it more......

chris
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:02 PM   #28

Default flash recycle

anyone who owns the 8080 comment on the 7 second recycle time for the flash??? and ready for first shot flash ?

chris