Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:39 AM   #1

Default Hmmm used or refubished olympus c 4000 or c 4040 better deal

Ok Ive got a old oly c2020 which is nice but I want to move up to a camera with more pixels . On ebay and other places there are some very good deals on used and refurbished cameras. olympus is selling refurbished models direct on ebay and some insane deals are being made daily. Personally I think the c 4040 with its faster lens is the better camera, but refurbished c4000 are going for as little as 200.00usd. Or maybe the better deal would be looking for a refurbished c 5050 with its ablity to use cf memory cards. One good thing about c4000, c4040 or c 5050 they can use my legacy smart media cards and aa nimh batterys. Both the c4000 and 4040 I understand wont have much better startup times than my c2020 due to there older cameras , but is the shutter lag and slow focus as bad as they say on the c5050 to the point in interferes with the cameras basic funcation making it a bad deal ? Hmmmm any input form c4000, c4040 or c5050 users would be much appreceated. Thank you in advance for any input or advice Im trying to get the most mileage out of my buying dollars so that why I looking at used or refubished options
bob1xxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:59 AM   #2

Well, I'll let you know! I just bought a refurbished C-4000 to replace my point-and-shoot D-520Z. I hardly use my 35mm anymore and kept trying to coerce my D-520 to do what I would normally do with the 35 and, of course, I was getting frustrated. I'm hoping to be able to use the C-4000 for a bit more. Digital photography got a hold of me with that little D-520!

The startup time as reported by reviews I've read is not great. The focus time can be reduced sometimes by turning on the "full time AF" which uses up batteries a bit faster. However, with the AF always on, you are often focused by the time you've framed the shot, if conditions are good. All of this is anecdotal as I've not actually RECEIVED the camera yet.

I think the AF on all these cameras is the biggest problem. Someday, I'll break loose and buy a "real" digital camera where you can focus like you do on a 35. But, since I"m terminally cheap -- that's not likely anytime soon (well, when the kids are out of college, I might break loose, lol).
n3elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:53 PM   #3

I would purchase the C4040 over the C4000 because the lens is much better in the C4040. The fast lens produces very good low light pictures.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 2:21 PM   #4

Default thanx guys for your replys

Thanx again , ok any one else out there with ideas you comments would be welcomed
bob1xxxx is offline   Reply With Quote