Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:22 PM   #1

Default Olympus 750 LCD Screen

I am new to digital photography and just getting started with the Olympus 750. I was outside on a bright sunny day and the LCD screen was useless! Using the view finder was not much better. What is the secret to taking photos out doors on nice days when you cannot see the subject? I am almost afraid that the camera will only be able to be used on cloudy, overcast days, but please tell me that can't be!

Thanks for the help.
lorac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:12 AM   #2

LCD screens are always difficult to see in bright light. An electronic viewfinder (EVF) is not my choice, either, but if you want a 10x zoom in this size and form factor, you're pretty much limited to EVF. I've found I've grown pretty used to the EVF over the last few months; on the other hand, my worst gripe right now is the shutter lag on the 750/755. I went to a party last Sunday and pretty much despaired of getting any shots right on the money; I can anticipate pretty well, but I'm not psychic! I was using the 755 with an external Olympus FL-50 flash, and even though I'd pre-focus well in advance, it was virtually impossible to get the captures I wanted. I can't believe how long it took for the flash to fire (i.e. shutter to open) after pressing the button.
My estimation is that the camera takes fine pictures, but it's not good for sports or other fast-moving events.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:26 AM   #3

Default OLYMPUS 750 LCD SCREEN

Thank you for your reply. I thought, that just maybe, there was a way to overcome this. I, too, have found out that it takes quite a while to 'record' the photo. We were at a small gathering of friends and I wanted to take some candid photos. But, because people weren't posing, there were quite a few photos that were not very good. I thought, I had gotten nice shots but when I looked at them, the subject(s) had moved by the time the shot was recorded. Maybe, the sports mode would work better in these situations?

So, with all that said, I think I will be taking my 35mm film camera along, too when we vacation!
lorac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:25 PM   #4

The C750's shutter lag is a direct result of its poor AF performance in lowlight conditions. Something you have to learn to work around. There are many tips re: this in this forum and others - try performing some searches. There's a Yahoo group devoted to the Oly C730-740-750 that contains tons of helpful info. Suggest you look there.

That said, the C750's AF performs fine in daylight - I have yet to experience shutter lag in daylight.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5

Norm wrote: "I was using the 755 with an external Olympus FL-50 flash, and even though I'd pre-focus well in advance, it was virtually impossible to get the captures I wanted. I can't believe how long it took for the flash to fire (i.e. shutter to open) after pressing the button. "

I don't use an external flash but I have found the slowness of the EVF in low light to be disorienting. Try to use your other eye. Will the FL-50 rapid fire? If so taking rapid multiple shots would be worth trying.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:47 PM   #6

Offhand I don't believe the FL-50 has a rapid-fire feature, although I could be mistaken. In any event, the problem is the first shot, when I want to capture a certain expression on someone's face (or wherever); even though I was prefocusing (shutter button depressed halfway), when it came time to press the rest of the way for the exposure, the operation took far longer than I thought it should have, and it meant I missed many of the "decisive moment" shots I wanted.

--I still like the C-755--it's small, has all the controls I could want, and it takes fine pictures, if still life or posed scenes are what you're after. And the FL-50 is definitely nice for the way it automatically follows the zoom range of the camera lens with its own motorized zoom. But the camera is really too slow for sports or other rapid-response situations. I traded up from a 1.4MP Olympus D-620 to the C-755, and the older D-620 had substantially better shutter response than the C-755.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 2:34 PM   #7

Norm wrote: "...even though I was prefocusing (shutter button depressed halfway), when it came time to press the rest of the way for the exposure, the operation took far longer than I thought it should have, and it meant I missed many of the "decisive moment" shots I wanted."

Does the delay seem longer than the specified 0.07 second? I know I had trouble protographing a twitchy dog and it really is a situation that highlights the advantage of a film camera or DSLR, but for me I decided the slow EVF was at least half the problem.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote