Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 7, 2004, 9:40 PM   #1

Default D-550 zoom won't power on!

Alright so I just purchased this D-550 for $47 USD, but it doesn't power on. Somewhat knowledgeable and a quick learner when it comes to electronics I am feeling pretty good about this one, but I just wanted a head start before it arrives. Anyone ever encountered this problem? If so let me know what happened.

Andy
veediot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:10 PM   #2

I had the same problem with my d-550. I removed the cover carefully and found out that the spring loaded rocker switch was broken. I took it to a family friend's camera shop and he fixed it in 5 minutes. Hope that is what your problem is because sounds like you stole it. Its a great camera. Good luck
rglbgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:33 PM   #3

Really? The gentleman I bought it from said that all he did was put batteries in it, turn it on, then it did nothing. It's got the box and everything except for an ac adapter. I was talking with a friend who happens to be a professional photographer and he was saying that even if it is something major, the worst that could happen is you spend $100 on it to get fixed at a camera shop and you have a 3 megapixel camera for about $150. I really do hope that it's just the spring loaded switch. I'll keep you posted when I get the camera.

Thanks,
Andy
veediot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 12:59 AM   #4

Hi, this is usually easily repairable. If interested you can contact me at [email protected]. I've been repairing Olympus digital cameras for sometime now and charge much less the Olympus does for repairs.

Brian
repaircamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5

Check the battery contacts...sometimes people drop the batteries in with such force that the springs (actually just a bent piece of metal usually) get compressed and the battery doesn't make contact with both ends (I had a flash like that I bought for $20, just pulled the spring up gently, popped the batteries in, and it worked).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote