Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Advise on Olympus C-8080 please

Need some advise please. Looking at Steve's fantastic site and being a relative new player to digital photograpy, am impressed with the qualities of 'ease of use' and 'superb picture quality' of the Olympus C8080.
I want to attach great images to emails and want the ability to do this painlessly and simply.
I also travel extensively and need a compact size.
Will the C8080 give me this?
Previously had a Sharp Digicam but disappointed and want to now invest in a quality camera.
All replies will be very much appreciated.
sunshine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:11 PM   #2

Default what i've heard on the forums

give me a couple days and i'll share my experiences....i just got mine today, waiting for the battery to charge.

Check out the forums a little farther down and DCNEWBIE and some other guys had some things to say about the 8080
like no red eyes, no shutter lag, some low light with no flash - tests, fast startup, size is big like a SLR, ......battery lasts a long time, etc.

anyway, I decided to buy one at www.buydig.com for 779.00 and will check it out for a couple of days and tell you my point of view.

I hadnt heard any bad things about the 8080 from this forum or the other forum I'm on -- other than you cant move the camera on low light shots (no IS), but when i commented on it not being good, they said, its no worse than any other non IS camera on the market.

One thing i can say is tha t it IS as big as the SLR's
Chris
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 7:17 PM   #3

Default C-8080 opinion

I really like the C-8080, I've had only three days, but enjoyed every minute of it. Its easy to change settings, and set up your custom My Mode selections. It takes fast. Low light photos take someshutter, ISO and apeture changes, and a really steady hand, other than that, there is not anything I don't like abou t it.

I have to admit, when I bought it, I was buying it for a point and shoot, but the shutter speed, ISO, and apeture etc, all are so easy to change and save settings , that I use them more than I would on other digitals I have had . Fuji 1200, Olympus 2020(never needed to change anything with this camera), Nikon 3100, Canon Powershot 70.

I use SQ1 on a lower resolution - because for what I use the camera for, the Tiff and high resolution are overkill. I bought the camera for the fast shutter, startup and no red eyes and so far, its great on those accounts.

Hope this helps.

cmw
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:46 PM   #4

Excellent camera, great handling, beautiful made, $778 with free additional 2years warranty plus free fedex shipping at newegg.com.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 9:05 AM   #5

But it isn't small. So cross that off your list. It isn't particulalry huge, mind you. But you aren't going to be stuffing it into a pocket and easily carrying it around.
jake_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_rock
But it isn't small. So cross that off your list. It isn't particulalry huge, mind you. But you aren't going to be stuffing it into a pocket and easily carrying it around.
Not being too small and fit inside your pocket do not concern people who care about great results. How do you feel if you wear a pair of too small gloves or a pair of too large gloves?. Great handling of camera contributes a lot of weight for great and sucess results. Of course you can feel good about carrying one of the most compact camera such as the Sony T1, but does it feel good and steady in your hand when you compose and take the shot?

Cross that off the list? not in my book, same thing as when you buy the new clothes, you need to try them all to make sure it will fit you well. Doesn't my Canon 10D camera already consider to be compactness and large? why in the world I have to add on extra weight by attaching the battery grip to make it more heavy? but more balance for handling the camera? Judge it for your self.

Small, compact and fits in your pocket don't always considered as the best way to get you to Rome...

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 7:39 PM   #7

If you only want to add excellent photos to your e-mails you probably don't need a 8MP camera. I've attached dozens of excellent photos to e-maiils using the Olympus C2020 which is a 2.1MP camera.

The C8080 is a fine camera... I like mine. But if you are not planning on making BIG prints then you might save a lot of money and get a fine digital camera for a lot less money.

Just something to think about.
philip0273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:15 AM   #8

Hello sunshine123,

Though I do not own this digcam, the c8080, I do believe you could not go wrong if you pick one up! I am considering one myself (along with Nikon D70).

Two other things:

It will take compact flash or XD media so if you
already have some media of this type you are already ahead

It can create a sepia tone (old photo) look to your photos

Since you will be traveling, I presume you would have a laptop.
You can pick up a Compact Flash/XD "card" that can fit in the PCMIA
slot on the right of your laptop.

As far as emailing photos goes:

You have the ability within camera to select a lesser resolution, smaller image to email.

Alternatively, you can invest in an image editor. Most of them
have a resize function so you can resize your image to emailable
size. If you can find Paint Shop Pro (PSP) 7, that would be great.
PSP 8 though similar requires more memory to drive it. PhotoShop
of course is the kind of editing software but you will about the
same for it as you would your C8080.

As far as media goes, I would lean towards compact flash. I
have Sandisk 512 Ultra II Compact Flash and have not had a
problem with it.

If you have not read Steve's review, it is excellent! (below)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c8080.html
Good luck, sunshine123...happy travels
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:13 AM   #9
JPG

Hi: I bought the Olympus 8080 for serious photo work but I felt that I still needed a small digital to carry in my pocket, just for trips. After trying the Leica D Lux, which really looks great, takes very sharp pictures and felt great in your hands, but the color seemed washed out and it was way too expensive for what it had to offer, so I exchanged it for the little Canon Elph. That camera was too tiny and felt awkward in the hand. Then I finally settled on the Olympus Stylus 410. It seems to be the perfect tourist camera, and it's waterproof. -and reasonable priced.
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 8:45 AM   #10

Hi, I havepurchased and used the Olympus C8080 for the last few days and could not be happier with my choice.I agonized over many reviews to make a final decision, then took the plunge! Iam looking forward to the steep learning curve and growing with the camera. One thing that I noticed is that I do not have any trouble with accidently turning off the power button. To me it seems to be placed well.
Some pictures may come out blurry, butI keep telling myself,how many perfect shots did you get when you developed a film (amature)? If I take a blurry shot at least I can delete it straight away.
A great camera.
Attached Images

MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote