Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 2, 2002, 1:01 PM   #1

Default Olympus C2100 - should I buy?

I am seriously considering buying a C2100. However I when recently talking to a Jessops salesperson in the UK, I heard something rather disturbing - so I thought I would ask people on the forum who probably know if there is any truth behind it!

Basically I was told that shortly after the C2100 came out there was a product recall, due to serious problems with it (he suggested that is why there is so many refurbs available out there). He advised me against getting a C2100 (or E100RS for that matter) as he said many of their customers had to return them after a short period.

I am doubtful that this is correct but would appreciate your views please. I am considering getting either a C2100 or Canon Powershot Pro90 IS. The latter has the same lens but 2.6M rather than 2M, a swivel LCD lens and what appears to be a sturdier though perhaps not particularly ergonomic design.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin
UK

Nikon 995, Olympus 3000Zoom.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2002, 1:21 PM   #2

Default Olympus C2100 - should I buy ?

To add to my post, I assume that the product recall issues were in the UK so may not include the USA (if there was in fact a recall).

Kevin
UK
Old Sep 2, 2002, 1:43 PM   #3

Keven,
Seems like it was forever b4 the 1st refurb 2100 was available. many reviews by consumers on different merchantdise say "I was so ... I took it back" never seen one on the 2100, like it better than my 3040. Guess that salesman does not have a 2100 to sell you.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:24 PM   #4

Buy! I just got one myself. It is my first digital camera and I love it. I did a lot of research on the web. I don't think you will see any more satisfied consumers than those with a 2100. I think your salesman was trying to talk you into something he needs to get rid of. By the way, I bought one of those refurbs - no problems.
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 10:09 AM   #5

Default Olympus C2100

Thanks for the advice. I will look out for one.

Any particular accessories anyone recommends e.g. UV/poliser filters, wide angle or telephoto lens ?

Kevin
UK
Old Sep 3, 2002, 10:54 AM   #6

Keven,
Extra set of batteries, card reader, 128 meg card and airplane ticket to a south pacific island.
Gary
Old Sep 3, 2002, 10:55 AM   #7

KevinJ,

Buy a refurb. I just got one and its a beaut. I actually trust the refurbs more than the originals. If its refurbished then the problem was fixed. I've only had mine for a couple of days but I love it!!!

Now, that's not to say the Pro90IS is any slouch, if they are similar in price; I'd actually recommend going with the Pro90IS. It's the best of both worlds. Not to say I feel limited by the C-2100 (actually I'm now feeling 10X optical zoom is too little), but for the 'little' bump in resolution, the swivel LCD and a different look to the camera, the Pro90IS might be a better buy. They are similar cameras; and if you can get one for the same price got for it (I've not seen one in the $425USD price range...ever).

Now... back to work.
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 11:04 AM   #8

Oh.. as to what else to buy, I'm asking that same question;
What I've got so far:
- 128MB SM card
- card reader (combo)
- 49mm UV filter
- 49mm Circular Polarizer
- camera bag (mini camcorder bag)

I want the extra batteries soon, as this camera will eat through a set in a day of regular use (not even continuous use). It's a good thing it comes with 4 batteries and charger...
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 11:14 AM   #9

Lin Evans has written some good posts on the add ons for the 2100 UZI.

will edit and add link to lins post after this link.

http://users.orofino-id.com/mcelhatton/default.htm

lin has more than 1 post, read 2nd from bottum, very sharp person.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1023

[Edited on 9-3-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:58 AM   #10

Maybe I went a little overboard, but I bought a Pelican 1450 case to keep my camera in. It may be a little bulky, but it should protect it well.

I also got a 128 meg card, card reader, extra batteries, and a B300 on the way. Will get more memory next time I see a good deal.
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote