Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Which CF 512MB/ 1GB are best for C-8080 ?

Hi all

I'm putting my 2 questions right at the beginning to save your reading time and also put the long version of it below as well. Thanks.

1- What are the brand and speed ratings of CF 512MB and CF 1GB that work best for the C8080 , and what type (I or II) ?

2- what is the read/write speed of the C8080 ?

I've read lots of reviews and discussions on the C8080 in the past several days and really am sold on it. I have a Sony 707 and a Pentax Optio S4i . One is 5Mp and the other is only 4Mp so I figure I'd need a 8Mp . I'm going to order the C8080 tomorrow and am hoping in the same order I will be able to get a CF 512MB or a CF 1GB if the price is right so I really need some help for the forum here. I've read several sources on CF evaluations/reviews but none of these have the C8080 and CF performance review yet .

What are the brand and speed ratings of CF 512MB and CF 1GB that work best for the C8080 , and what type (I or II) ?

There appears to have no data in any of the C8080 reviews regarding the read/write speed of the camera itself and it is easy to be tempted for one to get the fastest CF available out there (if one has money) but I'm not that fortunate and would like to get the one that works best with the camera instead of paying a premium for the 40x or 80x speeds. I've also read from several forum members writing about their poor expecirence with Sandisk products and in general favor Lexar over Sandisk. There are no talks about any of the other brands that standout.

In short, the second question that I have is, what is the read/write speed of the C8080 ?

Thanks
Perl
perllog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:20 PM   #2

any of the lexar pro or sandisk ultra II series cf cards will be excellent. not so much for the speed factor (they both exceed the xfr rate of the camera by a large margin) but for their warrenty. both have lifetime warranties. also as to the speed there is an advantage too. if you move up to a higher end camera that has a high speed xfr capability you will most likely have the card capable to use it.

buy.com has the sandisk 1gb ultra II for $200 and a 512mb for $139

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...3&loc=101&sp=1
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...4&loc=101&sp=1

they didn't make their quarterly profit and its firesale time along with the fact that lexar is introing the 80x cards and theirs are only 60x . the current lexars are 40x. but then this is all pretty much irrelevent because the highest end camera to date doesn't come near the xfr speed a 40x card can handle.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:47 PM   #3

sjms, thanks for the info.

I'm looking for something that matches the C8080 read/write speed and not too much faster than the camera ability since it would be a waste and I'm not thinking of using it for the next generation camera at all . The two models that you gave are of course the safest way to go for any camera today, I think .But they carry a premium which I'm looking to bypass with a slower rating media that has just a little margin over the camera r/w speed. That is if such a beast exists.

Perl
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:06 PM   #4

well a word of warning there are many cards on the market that will slow your camera down like the sandisk blue/red models. they're the good time killers for extended transfer time. the $138 is not really a premium price today compaired to others with lesser warranties and capabilities.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:26 PM   #5

Check Here!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...photo&n=172502

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:53 PM   #6

exellent price
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:25 PM   #7

It is very good price. Thanks EasyRay.
sjms : I agree with the caution and with this kind of price I will most likely get the Ultra II .

Perl